Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: APT upgrade and double entry on menu

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    74

    APT upgrade and double entry on menu

    I am using the 3.8.1 HD install, after I completed the APT upgrade, I found there are lot of applications have double entry on the K menu, also the boot up time is doubled with many new messages, it seems that there are many upgrades I don't need on my system or can't access the resources, how do I safety remove those services that I don't need ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Are we talking services here, or menu entries?

    If menu entries, then the best tool to use is menu editor

    Kmenu>Settings>menu editor.

    If we're taking services, you can either use SysV-init editor to stop them starting

    Kmenu>System>SysV-init editor

    or use apt-get remove (nameOfPachkage) to remove them. It's probably easier, however, to use Synaptic to do this.

    su to root and do

    apt-get update && apt-get install synaptic && exit

    Synaptic is pretty self explanatory -- it's a GUI front end to (most of) apt-get.

    Just be a bit careful of what you remove!

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    74
    Thanks for the info. I got double entries on the menu just after first time HD install and I removed them, but after the APT upgrade the same thing happens again, seems like a bug.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Double Entries On Services

    I have noticed double entries in the menu before and removed them.

    But, since day one it seems I also get double entries on a lot of services upon boot up: pci, usb, etc.

    I always just assumed it was a fail safe proceedure.

    I'll have to look at this more carefully.

    sakiZ

Similar Threads

  1. Double everything in my K menu
    By gnukish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-21-2005, 05:08 AM
  2. Can't boot to X and duplicated menu entry
    By lotech in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 12:52 AM
  3. Start menu icons are gone after upgrade
    By andig in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 05:39 PM
  4. Enable double click on desktop etc.
    By Dallas Eschenauer in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2003, 09:19 PM
  5. Knoppix-STD The double edge sword
    By spazzman in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-17-2003, 09:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



Hitachi HUS726060ALA640 6TB 7.2K SATA 3.5 6G HDD Hard Disc Drive picture

Hitachi HUS726060ALA640 6TB 7.2K SATA 3.5 6G HDD Hard Disc Drive

$109.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408

$354.99



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED picture

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED

$34.95



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00