Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Knoppix and Firewalls

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    38

    Knoppix and Firewalls

    Anyone know of a really easy to download and configure firewall that can be downloaded and configured by a complete biff? Have tried guarddog (the only one I've managed to install and run) and while I'm battling with this I'd would be interested to know if there is a viable easy option that I've missed (aside from not going online ).

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    firestarter is another firewall, I didnt have much luck with it, it was a hard interface to learn on, as a beginner, but, it is another firewall...

    If you really want "protection", it isnt the "simplest" way, but, Debian uses iptables, which are "rules" that get applied to internet, and intranet, communications. Most of the firewalls; firestarter and guarddog, are just "front-ends" to iptables - they take a interface, GUI, of choices, and then build the rules for iptables to use. You might be able to go "directly" to just using iptables, and for-go the usage of a "front-end" program. ( ? )

    Besides, a firewall is one of those things, that, once it is set correctly, you either dont need to touch it anymore, or you can just forget that it is protecting you... i.e. "the set it, and forget it" theory.

    You could try mini-miyagi - I use it, it just sets up your iptables rulles, and then lets Linux's own protection that was built right in, take over. If you cant find mini-miyagi in a Google search, you can always go to its own irc chat room; found on irc.freenode.org, and join #miyagi

    Its a nice thing... When an operating system is "built" for security, and protection, it isnt very hard to "lock it down"...

    Lastly, if you have concerns about security, or if you are protected enough, you can always go to the GRC site, ( Gibson Research Corp. ) and head over to the Shields Up! location, and have them test your protection for you... Nothing more invigorating as getting a report that you are not only "COMPLETELY" stealth on the internet, but, that your system isnt responding to any unsolicited requests of giving yourself away

    Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    38
    Thx Ms Cuddles - I coulda sworn I'd responded to this thread already, but I can't find it anywhere?! Too much booze probably ... Anyway, I finally got firestarter to work. Both Shields Up and SOS report that I am stealthed. w00t! I'd write a book about my blunderings if only I could remember what I did .

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney/Australia
    Posts
    311
    Cuddles wrote

    >>
    Nothing more invigorating as getting a report that you are not only "COMPLETELY" stealth on the internet,
    >>

    (grin) you sure ...

    >>
    but, that your system isnt responding to any unsolicited requests of giving yourself away
    >>

    Well, ... Ignoring those icmp echos of course ...

    Iv'e been meaning to turn those off for ages ie; host unreachable type things. Regardless of the rfc requirment. They can't get in, but they know someone lives there ... mail box full , oh what, to be so popular

    If the IP complains ... not sure what to do there


    jm

    Code:
     -:-     Just because one is paranoid, it doesn't mean
                         that there not out to get you                      -:-

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4

    Where's the firewall in 3.8.2? (3.7 had one!)

    Hi all,
    One of the spiffs in 3.7 over 3.6 was that 3.7 had a firewall built into Knoppix. Well ... after thoroughly banging my head on the wall and hurting the wall severely, I've finally managed to get Knoppix 3.8.2 to recognize my dial-up modem (that 3.6 found automatically). But I don't wanna hang my ass out on the internet w/o a functioning firewall. Linux may not have many viruses, but there sure are plenty of hackers who know Linux, I'm certain.

    So ... I've gone through all the setups I could find and searched the docs and the only thing that I get when I search for firewalls is a reference to proxies.

    Wha happin? Am I getting geometrically more obtuse by the day, or is it no longer included in the versions after 3.7?

    Where do I find the firewall?
    what's it called?
    how do I install it?
    can I get it to auto-install upon CD boot?

    Hey ... I don't want much ... just to get it to work! I've been trying to migrate to Linux for >2 yrs but I can't get any help from the local LUG (it's a clique of sysops that don't even KNOW about Knoppix -- my best Knoppix support in San Antonio is a PC UG in Houston!). I've bought 3-4 versions of Linux but the installers suck and don't detect my hardware ... I have been drawn to Knoppix because it's supposed to detect hardware better than most Linux dists (and it WORKED ONE TIME w/ version 3.6!) But it seems when Knoppix improves in one area, it cuts off support in another major area.

    Is BSD any better?

    Hey ... if I seem frustrated ... then you are very perceptive!

    Thanks for your patience and help for a Linux newbie (albeit a CBM, CP/M ->DOS 2.0-3.31 ->Win 2.2+ oldie),

    Lagniappe

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    38
    Lagniappe - here's how I got firestarter to work on 3.7:

    1. As root, type apt-get update in a konsole.

    2. When it's finished, type apt-get install firestarter.

    3. The download / unpacking process took about 20 mins on my old pc.

    4. When it's finished, type firestarter in the konsole and you should be in (it did chuck a bizarre error msg at me at this point, but I ignored it).

    5. For more help, google to the firestarter website. Good luck!

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Lagniappe,

    The same information holds true for GuardDog -=- which is another firewall program...

    apt-get update
    apt-get install guarddog


    then just locate GuardDog within the KMenu, I think it pops into the KMenu -> System menu area, or, you can type guarddog in a Konsole to set it up. The "Help" has a nice tutorial on what a firewall is, why you would use one, plus, common ways of configuring GuardDog. Lastly, it has a link to the GBC ( Gibson Research Corporations ) web site, so you can test out your settings, and protection, of the firewall.

    The same thing happened to me, Kanotix had a firewall pre-included, and then went for not being included, but, then again, a CDROM is limited in space, and a lot of things are "fighting" to be included. Sometimes the choice of which firewall, changes, or even gets knocked out.

    I'd say, either firestarter or guarddog will work for almost anyone...
    Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4

    Thanks all -- I'll give it a whack

    Gadgerama & Cuddles,
    Thanks for your patience and help ... esp spelling it out in idiot language so even I can understand it. I'll be patient and not strangle anyone til after I've given both of your suggestions a try ... I promise. I knew I was missing something simple ... but I guess that definitive of my status.

    Hope the Great Watermelon brought you all the Memorial Day gifts you wanted,

    Lagniappe

Similar Threads

  1. Root privilages for p2p IP TABLE blocking firewalls for Linu
    By kidsatacrux in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-27-2007, 07:10 PM
  2. proxy servers and firewalls
    By piranha in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 02:31 PM
  3. Firewalls
    By valisk in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-04-2003, 05:59 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-02-2003, 06:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2 14" 16GB 512GB, Black

$290.24



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black

$313.00



Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11

$329.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter

$169.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI picture

Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI

$144.00