Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: 3.8.1 on Inspiron 8600

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3

    3.8.1 on Inspiron 8600

    Since the 3.8 version of Knoppix is supposed to support the Centrino wireless in this Inspiron 8600 I was excited to give it a try, but I'm having two problems. Linux is still a challenge for me, so please be very explicit and take it slow. Thanks...

    --1--
    Although I can ping my gateway (192.168.0.1) I can't browse anywhere. The route command shows (I think: I don't know this stuff very well) that there isn't a default gateway being configured. Where do I start to figure out how to get wireless working?

    --2--
    The sound isn't working. The speaker icon in the panel next to the clock has the red circle and slash over it, and it says it can't "find the mixer". I have no idea how to start to figure out that one.

    Any help?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3
    Weird. Finally got back around to booting Knoppix on the 8600 today, and like magic, the wireless started to work. Maybe I had a bunk CD burn before, maybe changing the boot order (which is the only thing I did different today) changed it, I don't know, but it just worked.

Similar Threads

  1. No Compiz with Nvidia GT 8600
    By d3l0n in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 12:33 AM
  2. Works Well on Dell Inspiron 8600
    By knoppixuser001 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 04:31 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-11-2004, 04:42 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 12:04 AM
  5. Dell Inspiron 8600
    By fcc in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 04:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



SK HYNIX 32GB 2RX4 PC4 2666V ECC SERVER RAM picture

SK HYNIX 32GB 2RX4 PC4 2666V ECC SERVER RAM

$199.00



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Lot of 5 Samsung + SK HYNIX 8GB& & 16GB DDR4 SODIMM Laptop Memory picture

Lot of 5 Samsung + SK HYNIX 8GB& & 16GB DDR4 SODIMM Laptop Memory

$150.00



M386A8K40DM2-CVF SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY picture

M386A8K40DM2-CVF SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY

$1400.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT picture

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT

$9.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Home 64-Bit USB Flash Drive + Key Retail Box - Original picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Home 64-Bit USB Flash Drive + Key Retail Box - Original

$39.88