Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Audio output redirect?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9

    Audio output redirect?

    Can one redirect the audio output towards a diferent port? My Windows outputs sound to "Speaker Out", while Knoppix uses the "Line in" (I have to change the plug each time I switch between the two). I can see you can change the recording input port, but why not the sound output?

    As a secodary question, is it possible to redirect outputs and inputs of other particular devices?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9
    In case the above text does not show:

    Can one redirect the audio output towards a diferent port?
    My Windows outputs sound to "Speaker Out", while Knoppix
    uses the "Line in" (I have to change the plug each time
    I switch between the two). I can see you can change the
    recording input port, but why not the sound output?

    As a secodary question, is it possible to redirect outputs
    and inputs of other particular devices?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9
    Does nobody have a clue about this?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphex_Twin
    Does nobody have a clue about this?
    You above text is confused. No software can make audio come out of a line that is built to be a hardware input.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9
    Oh, I didn't take a closer look at the small print near the audio plugs.
    I was used to the "Microphone" "Spk Out" and "Line In" configuration.
    Well, this current computer has a microphope input and two outputs.
    Windows uses one and Linux the other? Why is it so?
    And how can I change it?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    There is no 1 easy answer to this question. You will probably need to use a ALSA and JACK utility to "rewire" the sound to the desired output. See the screen shots http://qjackctl.sourceforge.net/qjackctl-ss1.html, specifically this one http://qjackctl.sourceforge.net/imag...chbayForm1.png.
    I hope this helps.
    James

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman View Post
    You above text is confused. No software can make audio come out of a line that is built to be a hardware input.
    Actually, he is exactly correct -- even today. Knoppix has some sort of royally f*cked up driver that OUTPUTS sound through the INPUT (microphone in) jack.

    Anyone who has used Knoppix for audio should know this. It was that way in 2005, and, as I am finding out today when trying to save some audio from a YouTube video, it is still that way today. Nothing whatsoever comes out from the AUDIO-OUT jack (except maybe a little hiss).

    Unfortunately, the output through the MIC IN jack is so soft that my recorder cannot pick it up, even though it is hardwired in. I've maxed out the outputs in "alsamixer".

    Time to download Ubuntu, I guess, 'cause for damn sure nobody's going to be able to tell me how to fix this today.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Unfortunately nobody is going to be in the slightest concern (of losing a user) if you go to download Ubuntu and start using it. On the hand if you eventually find it more useful and stick to it, we will be happy for you. The thing is Knoppix user based are too few and the developer is not even frequenting this forum, so this is what you would expect. If you really need attention, I suggest you post it to debian-knoppix maillist.

    Technically I haven't noticed the sound would come out from the wrong port. But I do notice some versions of kernel (alsa drivers) do have problem with speaker jack. With internal speakers it is working but when the speaker jack is plugged, it is mute. But I think those are history. If you use a kernel recent enough, I believe it will not have this problem.

Similar Threads

  1. Svideo output
    By wham in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 04:55 AM
  2. Konsole output goes where??
    By DougE in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 11:40 PM
  3. odd output from fdisk
    By Eradicator in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-28-2003, 04:21 PM
  4. TV Output
    By thaselecta in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2003, 03:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch

$39.99



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available

$97.49



Cisco C9400-LC-24XS Catalyst 9400 24-Port 10G SFP+ Line Card Module NEW SEALED picture

Cisco C9400-LC-24XS Catalyst 9400 24-Port 10G SFP+ Line Card Module NEW SEALED

$2804.00



Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New

$399.99



Cisco Business CBS110-8T-D Unmanaged Switch, 8 Port GE, Desktop picture

Cisco Business CBS110-8T-D Unmanaged Switch, 8 Port GE, Desktop

$44.99