-
Serial ATA HD Issue
Hello,
I'm using knoppix 3.4 off cd to recover files off my hd. I was running windows xp, which crashed on me... go figure. Since I can't get windows to run, my plan was to run knoppix, back up all my important files on dvd, and start from scratch. Come to find out that apparently there are some compatability issues with serial ata hd's. What do I need to do to get access to my hd? Any suggestions would be great..
Thanks,
Matt
-
Junior Member
registered user
I would recommend using Knoppix 3.8.1, it has better hardware support, and I know that it will see some SATA drives, and be able to access them. However this is going to require that you use another computer, as I don't know if it is possible to d/l the @600 mb file and burn it from the live CD.
SD
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
sd5867
.... However this is going to require that you use another computer, as I don't know if it is possible to d/l the @600 mb file and burn it from the live CD.
You can't burn a CD from Knoppix when you boot from the Live CD if you have only one CD or DVD drive, unless you have have enough memory to load the entire CD into memory with the "toram" cheat code. As an alternative you might be able to use a smaller Live CD distro (like DSL) that will also burn a CD and will let you load it toram with far less ram. But many of these distros may not support SATA yet.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Earliest Knoppix Support for SATA?
What is the earliest version of Knoppix that supports SATA?
I'm using v. 3.7 HD drive install.
If there is SATA support for this version, I'd start looking into what hardware I could use.
sakiZ
-
Senior Member
registered user
Here is a page that details SATA in regards to the linux kernel http://linux.yyz.us/sata/sata-status.html
Similar Threads
-
By emc2 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-12-2009, 11:28 AM
-
By dougvega in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-26-2006, 07:00 AM
-
By ariels in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-15-2005, 08:44 AM
-
By Joe999 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-14-2004, 08:32 AM
-
By thetreed1 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...
$89.99

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard
$351.99

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard
$54.99