Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Booting Knoppix 3.8, the pain, and a question (2 CD drives)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5

    Booting Knoppix 3.8, the pain, and a question (2 CD drives)

    I still remember when I first tried out Knoppix 3.2.. I liked it. I liked it a lot. Especially Fluxbox...

    So today, I decided to give Knoppix 3.8 a spin.. downloaded it, burned it, and rebooted. Immediately I found out that my fast, 50x CD-Rom drive didn't boot it, but my slower, 32x speed CD burner did...

    I waited until Fluxbox showed up... and waited... and waited... and waited.. Hell. I waited 15 minutes (that's right! FIFTEEN MINUTES!) until it FINALLY finished booting. Hell. Even my Windows 2000 boots faster than that. Even Knoppix 3.2 does it in less than half of Knoppix 3.8's time..

    Eww'ed away by Fluxbox' default style, I went on to switch it... This is exactly the moment my whole liking for Fluxbox faded away. It switched to a new style the moment I selected it in the list... As a result, it got into an infinite loop between what looked like Merleykay and Lemonspace... There was nothing to do abotu it, so I rebooted my PC into Windows 2000 again.. Hurray for 3-minute booting time...

    In 15 minutes, my whole liking for both Knoppix AND Fluxbox faded away..

    Now for my actual question: how do I let Knoppix boot off my faster, 50x CD-rom drive? It's really a pain to have a nice OS boot that slowly, you know.. I can't give you much info about the hardware part, but I know for one that the LED of my 50x cd-rom drive never blinks on bootup... I'm also NOT able to select my 50x Cd-rom drive to boot from in BIOS settings...

    Thanks for your time... Now let's hope I can regain my liking for Knoppix and Fluxbox again...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    You need to enable DMA. DMA enabled by default can be problematic and it causes many users to have Knoppix fail to boot so that is why it is turned off by default. See http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=79762#79762 and http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=80833#80833.

    At the knoppix boot prompt type:
    knoppix dma

    If that fails to work, at the command line for hard drives:
    hdparm -A 1 -c 1 -d 1 /dev/hda

    For CDROM/DVD/CDRW drives:
    hdparm -c 1 -d 1 /dev/hdc

    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    22
    The command lines are not going to get your CD to boot from the 50x, but it may help with the problems that you are having after booting.

    You said that your bios doesn't let you select which CD-Rom to boot from, double and triple check it, it is often over looked. after you have done that, and it is still not working, reconfigure your jumpers on your CD-Roms or physically switch your drives, more than likely it will only boot from the master drive. Simply by setting the 50x as master and the other as slave should solve your problem.

    SD

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by sd5867
    You said that your bios doesn't let you select which CD-Rom to boot from,....
    My BIOS doesn't let me select which CD drive to boot from either .... but it turns out that I can just put a bootable CD in either CD drive and (as long as I don't have a bootable CD in the other drive also) it will boot.

Similar Threads

  1. Booting Question
    By a1tone in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 08:14 PM
  2. SATA drives not being seen after booting.
    By msetzerii in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2006, 02:08 PM
  3. PXE Network Booting question
    By trellis in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 11:39 PM
  4. What a pain in the butt! Still no xserver!
    By mentaL704 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 09:11 PM
  5. Endless Open Office Installation Pain...
    By Tortoise in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 12:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99