-
USB booting, sort of
I would like to be able to boot knoppix from a USB drive, but not actually have the USB drive be the boot device. In other words I would like to have a floppy or small CD containing whatever necessary to boot just enough to recognize the usb drive and boot the iso off of it. My reasoning behind this is in three parts:
1. I want to be able to boot off of the USB drive on computers that don't have BIOS USB booting support
2. I don't want to go through and modify everything necessary to make linux truly run off of the drive just like a hard drive
3. It would be easier to change distros and version to just replace an ISO
Could I use a specialized GRUB or LILO?
Now, pardon me for asking this if it isn't possible, but I think it is because when you boot knoppix you can boot off of an iso stored anywhere right? If this isn't possible how I am proposing it, I would like any feedback on any other way to do this while keeping my major goals in mind.
Thanks,
Stephen
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 97
Last Post: 03-02-2005, 08:45 PM
-
By rusty in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 22
Last Post: 01-24-2005, 05:45 AM
-
By mikeUK in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-04-2005, 01:52 AM
-
By radiokid in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-09-2004, 02:05 PM
-
By eadz in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-23-2003, 12:28 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00