Try this:
boot using the CD. Mount wherever you put Knoppix read write.
Pop open a System>More Programs>File Manager Super User Mode.
Navigate to /etc/lilo.conf and edit it and save it.
Unmount the Knoppix partition.
Exit
Reboot.
The best way to answer my many questions is by asking "Is it possible to boot the Knoppix 3.8.1 LiveCD and perform a Linux install such that a reboot is not required?" This can be refined by adding "After a 'knoppix-installer' session of installing to /dev/hda1, can I transfer control to the computer (/dev/hda1) so that everything will run from the Hard Disk and not the CD?" The CD is the speed bottleneck of a LiveCD system.
After installing Knoppix 3.8.1 via the 'knoppix-installer' script, I needed to modify /etc/lilo.conf to add "acpi=off" to the boot string.
Not knowing how to edit hda1:/etc/lilo.conf, I simply rebooted. As is noted elsewhere on this forum, my PS2 mouse was not installed since "acpi=off" had not been added to the lilo.conf boot string. The Knoppix CD creates a virtual filesystem. Where is the partition (hda1) to which it installed the new system?
How can I edit the file hda1:/etc/lilo.conf and not a virtual copy? I need to edit the actual file on hda1 so that when I reboot, 'acpi=off' is read from the new file at hda1:/etc/lilo.conf.
Thanks, Bob
Try this:
boot using the CD. Mount wherever you put Knoppix read write.
Pop open a System>More Programs>File Manager Super User Mode.
Navigate to /etc/lilo.conf and edit it and save it.
Unmount the Knoppix partition.
Exit
Reboot.
I answerd to tilleyrw in other topic about LILO. Your answer fingers99 is OK, but boot don't use new lilo.conf file if you did not perform LILO command from terminal, as root.
tdhokic is right.Originally Posted by tdjokic
You need to do
sudo /sbin/lilo
to write the revised lilo.conf (you could give the full path, if you're worried about using the wrong version, but it's always worked for me)
How's Boban Markovic, tdjokic?

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
17x Mixed Major Brand 16GB PC4-25600 DDR4-3200 Memory
$849.99
Micron 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx8 DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800U Desktop RAM
$19.99
Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A
$89.95
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00
DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q
$185.00