I'm talking about Xvidtune, an app that can cause permanent hardware damages. My hope is that in next knoppix relases it will be ask for root privileges before running an app like that.
This is a very wandering mine in a multiuser box![]()
I'm talking about Xvidtune, an app that can cause permanent hardware damages. My hope is that in next knoppix relases it will be ask for root privileges before running an app like that.
This is a very wandering mine in a multiuser box![]()
It is true that in a multiuser box only necessary programs should be installed to run Linux (Linux kiosk).Originally Posted by maxIT
But xvidtune is a good tool for Knoppix user and should not be removed. On the other hand, giving root's password does not profit anything because it is so easy thing to type 'passwd root' in a virtual console and give a new password to root.
My suggestion is that in multiuser systems only remastered versions of Knoppix should be used without dangerous programs.
-tapsa-
Hi tr,
I think you're right, and that is, I need something like in kiosk mode.
As follow what you say I think that it isn't a Knoppix-distro issue, but maybe an app itself issue. I've noticed as example that qtparted has the same xvidtune rights in knoppix, "-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root". But even having 'others' the execute permission qtparted ask me simple non_root user for root passwd while xvidtune no. Isn't a general unix/linux policy that only root can manage hardware settings?
best regards, max.

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99
EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC
$115.00