kppp -> configure -> Modem -> uncomment "Wait for dial tone"
In Kppp, when I try to connect, it says my modem is ready, but when it starts initializing, it gives me a no dialtone error. What's wrong here? I made sure that the noauth part of the configuration was uncommented...
kppp -> configure -> Modem -> uncomment "Wait for dial tone"
Okay, now it dials, but it stays on the Logging On To Network....For a minute or so, and then gives me a pppd error (exit status 2).
That's the pppd error.Code:Apr 30 16:38:43 This pppd[3761]: pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0 Apr 30 16:38:45 This pppd[3761]: Exit.
And that's the Kppp log. In man pppd it says that exit status 2 is something to do with two exclusive something-or-others...man pppd and go down to the exit status things.Code:ATZ OK ATM1L1 OK ATX3 OK ATDT6365395 CONNECT 49333
It says:
2 An error was detected in processing the options given, such as
two mutually exclusive options being used.
Now, I don't like kppp. Try pppconfig and then pon (to start) and poff to disconnect (all from the command line, although, if it works, I'll show you how to put little icons up to run it).
Nope. I went pppconfig and enter the info for my ISP (GWI) and then tried pon...nothing happened....then pon GWI....then nothing happened....Then i tried it from kppp....still the same errors...
Hmmm.Originally Posted by Kowood
Check /etc/group
you should have entries like:
dialout:20:kowood
dip:30:kowood
(it's the user name that's important)
and try again. Hell, try it as root (just as an experiment!)
(you might try pon provider, too..........)
Failing that, you'll have to post all the entries you made in kppp and hope that someone can spot what's going wrong.
Works fine in root. I'm posting this from my root session. The only working in root might have something to do with the fact that only root can run slmodemd....the daemon for my modem...
Maybe this will help: go to usr/bin/kppp as root, than look at permisions and change this one: Exec for user.
Nope. I think my problem might be that when I try to start the slmodem daemon as user, it says that I'm denied permission to sched_setscheduler or something similar to that.
Did you check /etc/group ?
If you did, and you are in the diallout and dip groups, then you probably need to change the ownership of the modem daemon.
This is a really strange -- and to my mind -- potentially dangerous thing to have to do, but you may have to do just that.

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511
$28.99
New Genuine OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 4 Cell Laptop Battery RJ40G M033W
$49.95
Lot of 10OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 63WH Battery RJ40G M033W - Excellent
$175.00
OEM GJKNX 68WH Battery For Dell Laptop
$20.00
OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$45.49
OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541
$35.78
OEM Genuine 63WH RJ40G Battery For Dell Latitude 5420 5520 Precision 3560 M033W
$31.69
OEM NEW PKWVM Battery For Dell Precision 7550 7560 7750 7760 Mobile Workstation
$40.33
OEM Genuine Dell Latitude 5420 5424 7424 Rugged 11.4V 51Wh Battery 06JRCP 7WNW1
$95.67
NEW OEM V6W33 Battery WV3K8 Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3320 3330 3515
$47.95