Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Permissions

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    37

    Permissions

    I have the following folders:

    /home/linrad/

    Within the linrad folder I have an executable called linrad. If I go to the Konquerer window to execute linrad, I get the following:

    svgalib: cannot get I/O permissions

    I have done everything I know, short of standing on my head, to change the permissions in svgalib, and so far have failed.

    I can run the executable from root. I have used root to try to change the permissions.
    as in chmod oug+rwx <file name> ( i don't remember the exact file name. I would have to go out to the shop and look.

    Can someone please point me in the direction of executing this application without goung to root.

    Thanks,
    Mike

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    You're doing this the hard way.

    Try it this way:

    Kmenu>System>More Programs>File Manager Super User Mode

    This should prompt you for the root password and then present you with a Konqueror Window.

    Now, click your way to the directory in which file you want to change is, right click on the file, select properties and the permissions tab. At the bottom you can change ownership, while the advanced permissions button enables you to select who can execute it.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    37
    Thanks fingers99, I will try that.

    Mike

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    37
    fingers99, that certainly is significantly more simple that what I was doing. Now, the problem is that so far, I have been unable to locate the appropriate svgalib file to edit. I still have to go into su to be able to launch the application. I will keep looking.

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Chances are it's either represented as a cog wheel or a tv set.

    Could well be that linrad/linrad itself is the culprit. You could try changing the ownership of the directory recursively (that is, change the top linrad directory and check the little "apply this to subdirectories (or whatever) button).

Similar Threads

  1. permissions
    By blockHEAD in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 04:38 AM
  2. Permissions
    By n47713 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2008, 07:27 PM
  3. KDE permissions and user permissions!!!
    By newiaqua in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2004, 07:49 PM
  4. Won't allow me to change permissions
    By sdat1333 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 06:37 PM
  5. change permissions
    By tony177 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 10:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 16GB 2Rx8 DDR4 SDRAM SO-DIMM 3200MHz (PC4-3200AA) M471A2K43DB1-CWE picture

Samsung 16GB 2Rx8 DDR4 SDRAM SO-DIMM 3200MHz (PC4-3200AA) M471A2K43DB1-CWE

$65.95



Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM picture

Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM

$37.99



Timetec 2X8Gb (16GB Kit) DDR3L DDR3 1600Mhz (DDR3L-1600) Desktop RAM FUKN NEW picture

Timetec 2X8Gb (16GB Kit) DDR3L DDR3 1600Mhz (DDR3L-1600) Desktop RAM FUKN NEW

$30.00



OLOY Warhawk Aura Sync 16GB (8GBx2) RGB PC3200 DDR4 RAM MD4U0832160BE0DA *CHEAP* picture

OLOY Warhawk Aura Sync 16GB (8GBx2) RGB PC3200 DDR4 RAM MD4U0832160BE0DA *CHEAP*

$40.00



128GB 4x32GB DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 2Rx8 ECC Unbuffered Server Memory by NEMIX RAM picture

128GB 4x32GB DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 2Rx8 ECC Unbuffered Server Memory by NEMIX RAM

$850.00



Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB) picture

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)

$164.95



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99



16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980 picture

16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980

$39.99