-
Problem booting a Sharp PC-9000 w/ no HD
I have a Sharp PC-9000 that no longer has a HD (it basically eats them). I use it when I travel, to access the Internet, and usually boot up DOS and use Arachne. However, I thought it would be nice if I could use linux instead.
This machine has the "interchangable" floppy & CD-ROM drives. To use both, you hook the floppy up to the parallel port.
I made boot floppys on another PC, and was able to get Knoppix to boot to the point where it attempts to find the Knoppix CD to continue the process. At that point, it is not able to detect my CD-ROM drive.
Does anyone have any suggestions for this type of machine?
Thanks!
-
An update. The CD drive in question is a Matsushita, model # UJDCD6731. I considered attempting to recompile the Knoppix kernel, but could not get a make menuconfig or make xconfig to run. Poked around on my Debian box, and noticed that there is a place in the menuconfig that pertains to non-SCSI and non-IDE CDROM drives. Matsushita is one of the ones listed, so I feel like I am onto something, but don't know how to accomplish this (make menuconfig) with knoppix.
Similar Threads
-
By dgrafknoppix in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-21-2009, 05:30 PM
-
By ZioNemo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-17-2004, 11:21 AM
-
By jdiercks in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-28-2004, 03:54 PM
-
By SolarCat in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-02-2004, 05:08 AM
-
By tamster121 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-14-2003, 10:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120
$69.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$155.00

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73