-
Problem booting a Sharp PC-9000 w/ no HD
I have a Sharp PC-9000 that no longer has a HD (it basically eats them). I use it when I travel, to access the Internet, and usually boot up DOS and use Arachne. However, I thought it would be nice if I could use linux instead.
This machine has the "interchangable" floppy & CD-ROM drives. To use both, you hook the floppy up to the parallel port.
I made boot floppys on another PC, and was able to get Knoppix to boot to the point where it attempts to find the Knoppix CD to continue the process. At that point, it is not able to detect my CD-ROM drive.
Does anyone have any suggestions for this type of machine?
Thanks!
-
An update. The CD drive in question is a Matsushita, model # UJDCD6731. I considered attempting to recompile the Knoppix kernel, but could not get a make menuconfig or make xconfig to run. Poked around on my Debian box, and noticed that there is a place in the menuconfig that pertains to non-SCSI and non-IDE CDROM drives. Matsushita is one of the ones listed, so I feel like I am onto something, but don't know how to accomplish this (make menuconfig) with knoppix.
Similar Threads
-
By dgrafknoppix in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-21-2009, 05:30 PM
-
By ZioNemo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-17-2004, 11:21 AM
-
By jdiercks in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-28-2004, 03:54 PM
-
By SolarCat in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-02-2004, 05:08 AM
-
By tamster121 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-14-2003, 10:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Compaq Contura 430cx Vintage Laptop 9.5" Intel 486DX2 50MHz Windows 95 Working
$150.00

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$325.99

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra
$120.00

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Dell Latitude XPi CD P150ST Vintage Computer - Not Working
$70.00

VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC
$24.95

VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8
$34.95

VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED
$500.00

Sealed Vintage Intel Pro/1000 Network Adapters Drivers CD Ver 3.1 Vintage PC NEW
$39.61