Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: HELP?!?! Lost MBR!

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    72

    HELP?!?! Lost MBR!

    I don't know if anyone here can help, but I don't know where else to go...

    I've got a notebook computer that was setup to dual boot: Windoze XP and Ubuntu, using Grub. I wanted to get rid of Ubuntu (giving me headaches), resize the Linux partition for more space and install Kanotix. Using "Partition Magic", I found the only way to do this was to get rid of the Linux partition and then give the extra space to Windoze. All seemed to go well, and I had it set up with:

    c: drive ( FAT32 - hda1 to Linux)
    d: drive (NTFS - hda5 to Linux)

    BUT, Grub now won't boot. Idiot that I am I didn't realize that Grub was booting from the Linux partition (?), so now that the Linux partition is gone, I can't boot my computer!!!

    When I boot from the Kanotix CD, I'm able to access both Windows partitions, so I don't think I've lost any data. But how do I recover my MBR?

    Thanks!!!!!

    Paul

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    72

    FIXED!!!

    I didn't see an option to delete my post, but not more than 30 seconds after I finished posting here, Kano at Kanotix gave me the solution:

    sudo lilo -M /dev/hda -s /dev/null

    I'll post it here in case it should be needed by someone else in the future.

    Paul

Similar Threads

  1. Lost MBR for hdb
    By lwalper in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-21-2009, 04:44 PM
  2. Lost NTFS (Yet Again)
    By kg4wxw in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-02-2006, 06:28 AM
  3. hda: lost interrupt
    By rozen in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-13-2006, 07:07 PM
  4. lost password
    By mataemon_araki in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2006, 01:13 AM
  5. swriter lost!!!
    By babelbrennt in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-17-2005, 01:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00