Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Mounting a USB memory stick

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2

    Mounting a USB memory stick

    I know this has been done to death on this (and others) forum but for the life of me, I can't find a simple and easy way to mount and write to my Sony 128 Mb memory stick (did I say it works fine in Windows?)

    etc/fstab says:
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/sda /mnt/auto/sda vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0

    At the console terminal I created a directory called /mnt/usb then typed something like:
    #mount /dev/sda /mnt/usb

    If I get the properties for either 'sda' or 'usb' in the 'mnt' directory then they are both shown as mounted and have a "free disk space of 109.2 MB out of 124.0 MB (12% used)".

    When I try to click on either and try to create a new directory or file I get an access denied message.

    I am sure there is a simple way to do this but I can't see it.

    Any help will be greatfully appreciated.

    Regards,
    Peter

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Do you get a usb icon on the desktop?

    I'm doing this from a HD install, so can't remember if this is exactly right, but if you right click on the icon, I think there's a dialogue which enables you to make the drive read/write (IIRC, the default from the live CD is read only).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2

    Mounting a USB memory stick

    Fingers99,

    No, there is no desktop icon for sda. There are icons in the 'mnt' directory.

    When I run 'usbview' I get full details of all USB devices, including the Sony memory stick.

    pja

Similar Threads

  1. umount memory stick
    By Ming in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2005, 07:37 PM
  2. Is there a HOWTO using CD with memory stick ?
    By Prayer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2005, 11:06 PM
  3. usb memory stick problems
    By alex stacey in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 06:16 PM
  4. Run Knoppix from a 256 MB memory stick ?
    By i2hhj in forum Laptops
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 07:57 PM
  5. Problems mounting a USB memory stick
    By Cirion in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 09:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections

$68.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W  Unused picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W Unused

$189.00



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$41.19



Windows Server 2025 Standard✔ 24-CORE✔ 10 CALs✔ 50 RDS✔ Remote Desktop EP2-25205 picture

Windows Server 2025 Standard✔ 24-CORE✔ 10 CALs✔ 50 RDS✔ Remote Desktop EP2-25205

$317.56