all hdds are set up in read-only mode under the live-CD
open the properties tab of your hdd (from the desktop) and there is a permissions tab that shows the drive is in read-only mode.
uncheck it, and be careful afterwards
Hello,
I don't have a problem so to speak, but I am trying to do something. I bought an IBM ThinkPad, used, recently and it has a hidden partition with the recovery program on it. What I would like to do is use Knoppix to copy the contents of the hidden partition, which Knoppix sees just fine, to my C:\ drive then hopefully I can create a restore CD in case my hard drive goes to hard drive heaven someday. I have tried to do this with Knoppix but it keeps saying it cannot create a folder or can't copy files an so on. I appreciate any help or advice.
Thanks All,
Larry
all hdds are set up in read-only mode under the live-CD
open the properties tab of your hdd (from the desktop) and there is a permissions tab that shows the drive is in read-only mode.
uncheck it, and be careful afterwards
the hidden partition is used by a setting in the bios.Thanks, I found this out with a little exploring and it worked wonderful, but it didn't really do me anygood. I was wanting to creat a system restore cd. I copied all the files from the hidden restore partition to a folder on my c:\ drive and then burnt the contents to a CD-R but there is nothing there for it to recognize at boot-up. I assume all the files are there but I don't know how to use them. I will work on this unless you have a suggestion? Thanks again.
in compaq's, when the boot cursor flashes on the rhs instead of the left, you hit a magic button and it goes into setup mode.
the IBM would do the same thing but it's just the going into bios thing.
instead of having a bios program in the bios chip (like most computers) they use the hidden partition to store programs and utilities which work with the bios in a bios'y fashion.
so the files need to go back onto a partition of the same type, and also, possibly, in the same position if it's a boot block address type of access, so that the
hit 'del' to get into bios
has somewhere to actually go.
it's the type of partition, the hiddenness of it, and possibly position , that make it get used by the bios program.
having it in a folder on your main drive, i don't think would do much, but they might be runnable in dos mode.

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30
Dell PowerEdge T430 8 x 3.5 Hot Plug 2X E5-2680 V3 Twelve Core 2.5Ghz 192GB 3X 2
$949.99
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller
$714.99
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88
OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95
Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD
$14.99
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
Serial ATA two-port SATA PCI card (SiI3112 sil3112 chipset)
$18.99