if you have a second system, you could extract the hdd and put in the other system, there install knoppix (knoppix style install) and afterward replace the drive.
but from there to XP. no idea.
as far as I know going from 98 to XP is a no go.
Hi,
I'm new here, and I have a big problem.
My Laptop CD is not working, but I have been using an external USB DVD-RW.
My floppy is also USB.
Now I can't use the recovery XP cd because my laptop BIOS can't detect USB...
I'm thinking to do the following:
1. Make a new partition (G drive) and copy win98 installation files there.
2. Use Win partition Knoppis, to boot (without cd or floppy support)
3. After boot format c drive, and
4. run win98 setup from G drive.
5. From Win98, install USB DVD-RW and upgrade to XP from win98.
Can this be done? I do not know how to use knoppis to boot without cd support.
Any advice, please.
Thanks,
if you have a second system, you could extract the hdd and put in the other system, there install knoppix (knoppix style install) and afterward replace the drive.
but from there to XP. no idea.
as far as I know going from 98 to XP is a no go.

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU
$45.00
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99
MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$101.99
GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler
$250.00
MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen
$59.99