-
ntfs.sys file: Writing on ntfs partition version 3.8.1
Hi, my desktop crashed and got the 0x...24 blue screen. Knoppix recognized the HDD partitions. I am able to see the files and thanks to Knoppix 3.8 I have already saved my files to an external HDD. However, although I have done the ntfsfix command and it seems to work fine, when I reboot in windows the computer still crashes most probably because ntfs.sys file is corrupt.
I would like to change the corrupted ntfs.sys file to avoid formatting disks. If I reboot with Ghost or PE Builder, they don't detect the disks. With Knoppix 3.8 I have not managed to write the disk and change the file. If I do it through the menu it tells me to use captive (that is no longer there). If I do it manually, mounting the disk as read/write, it doesn't allow me either. I have tried with Knoppix 3.7 and captive but then it does not recognize the HDD... HELP!
Summary: (I am not a technician)- Anyone has instructions for tech dumbs, command by command, on how to write on the ntfs partition with version 3.8.1? Alternative solutions to get the "good" ntfs.sys file in my HDD?
Thanks a lot in advance!
-
I have done the ntfsfix command and it seems to work fine, when I reboot in windows the computer still crashes most probably because ntfs.sys file is corrupt.
If I reboot with Ghost or PE Builder, they don't detect the disks.
Likely if WinPE can't detect your drive then WinXP won't (they are both true win32 environments)
Ghost, BartePE or WinPE all should find the drives if they are readable from linux, but did you try the windows install disk or more specificly(sp) the recovery console on it. Look here for more info http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;822800
This sounds like a corupt MBR to me You could try the Fixmbr or Fixboot commands from the recovery console
-
Thanks! I've just tried with the recovery console but it does not detect the disks: They are NFTS. I wish I had FAT... (in the disk I mean, haaaa).
Similar Threads
-
By nvgringo in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-08-2007, 01:48 AM
-
By CytoTech in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-22-2005, 07:55 AM
-
By JamesNU in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-23-2004, 02:27 AM
-
By faz in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-30-2004, 05:29 PM
-
By bast in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer
$649.95

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$299.99

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts
$59.99

DEC Alpha CPU 290A 21064-CA 166 21-35023-14 166Mhz rare vintage CPU GOLD
$109.95

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard
$149.99

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$109.99

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99