Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix on a 4GB USB Drive?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5

    Knoppix on a 4GB USB Drive?

    Hey, I have a 4GB Gigabank drive by i/o Magic and I want to install Knoppix on it so I can boot it up from any PC with USB port and not have to carry the CD. I have heard a little bit about this and I think I remember that the BIOS has to support booting from USB and I dont know if most computers have that or not. If I cant use the drive to run Knoppix from, I want to at least have all the settings saved on it along with the /home directory so I can download and keep some files on it. Thanks for the help!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Stuttgart
    Posts
    4
    If your bios doesn´t support booting from usb or firewire try a boot diskette or burn a cdrom or dvdrom with a bootimage to start knoppix from external harddisk.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1

    Boot Knoppix 3.8 from USB stick

    It is very interesting that nobody know anything about booting Knoppix from USB stick !?

    There some instructions like: All you need is .......

    * Knoppix or an already stripped down version
    * USB Memory Stick
    * Computer capable of booting from USB
    * kernel with cloop-support
    * syslinux
    * A little hacker who will do everything for you.


    Idea of having Knoppix is to have syslinux in easy way. If I already have syslinux I would not use Knoppix !

    I think that now it is very custom having USB stick of 1GB or larger, and that there are many computers which are able to boot from USB stick (IBM and other laptops etc.). Booting some OS from CD-Rom is probably one outdated solution because of the CD dimensions and fragility.

    You used so much time making Knoppix and no time for additional instructions, like this one.

    So, ok. Until I get detailed instructions how to boot Knoppix from USB i will use plain old Windows XP. The world surely will not end because of that, but probably I will be one of the 1000 who know that Knoppix exist at all.

    Mrak

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5

    Re: Boot Knoppix 3.8 from USB stick

    I dont quite understand the point of Mrak's post but if it was to provoke an answer, I would gladly appreciate some help on this. I mean I know how to burn an iso to cd and make it bootable, now how do I do it with a usb hard drive. Or, even better can I use the hard drive install instructions and just format the usb key with linux partitions? thanks!

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: Boot Knoppix 3.8 from USB stick

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrakzrak
    ... You used so much time making Knoppix and no time for additional instructions, like this one ...
    So, ok. Until I get detailed instructions how to boot Knoppix from USB i will use plain old Windows XP. The world surely will not end because of that, but probably I will be one of the 1000 who know that Knoppix exist at all. Mrak
    Well, I have done it with my IBM laptop and my USB dongle key:
    I made my USB dongle DOS bootable with a FA16 partition and automatically start grub.exe from the autoexec.bat.
    Then Grub loads the kernel and initrd from the dongle and finally boot knoppix from the ISO image also on the dongle.
    Have a look at the end of this forum string: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796
    and feel free to use the files included in here: http://s119307663.onlinehome.us/grube.zip
    Best Regards, Gilles

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1

    Re: Knoppix on a 4GB USB Drive?

    apoc

    i'm in the same boat and would dearly like a reply I can make sense of. I have a 5 GB USB drive & I know all the machines I regularly use can boot from USB drives, but I can't seem to make sense of any of the info I've found for doing this with any linux distro. I basically want to be able to carry linux, open office, GRASS and associated data with me to various places using the USB drive. So if anyone out there can give plain english instructions to a linux wannabe like me I'd be very grateful.

    Cheers

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    14

    Here is a Solution booting Knoppix with DSL

    TDot did a great work with his "HowTo boot Deam Small Linux from a USB fob" . His page is here:
    http://fuzzymunchkin.dyndns.org/tdot/usbkeyfob/
    I did a translation of the first section into German, which you can find here:
    http://www.spyhome.de/usbknoppix.html

    I wasn't able to boot the new Knoppix 3.8.1 this way!! Maybe someone as an idea.
    I think it has something to do with the initrd.gz and the new way usb modules are loaded, because syslinux starts up, loads the kernel and the initrd file and then quits with a kernel panic.

    Greadings
    Christian

Similar Threads

  1. Copy file from hard drive to usb flash drive
    By PaulKraemer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
  2. problem copying linux drive to usb thumb drive
    By kennmurrah in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 10:09 AM
  3. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  4. Permanent home onto Sandisk USB flash drive ruined drive
    By mjman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
  5. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00