If I read your post correctly the only thing that has changed in your desktop configuration is the upgraded version of KDE, id est KDE 3.1.1 perhaps does not lke something in your desktop.
ok so I had knoppix 3.1 installed and the nvidia drivers loaded on a desktop everthing worked as expected.
I then load 3.2 on a laptop with the drivers and everything is copacetic. Then I load 3.2 on the first machine and I can login into kde but after the first restart
of X kde hangs on the ksplash screen witht the second icon "system settings " blinking it will hang for a minute or so and then disappears. After 4 or 5 reinstalls
I have found that this happens with the nvidia drivers loaded and without them. The log in /var/log/XFree86.0.log stops at the font renderer warnings and there is
no error I can see in dmesg. Oh and btw windowMaker and tvwm work with or without nvidia drivers.
thank you for your time
Mileto->Frank
If I read your post correctly the only thing that has changed in your desktop configuration is the upgraded version of KDE, id est KDE 3.1.1 perhaps does not lke something in your desktop.
The problem that causes this is that no loopback interface was started. So if you get this eror just hit ctrl+alt+f1 login as root andCode:ifconfig lo inet 127.0.0.1

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
$280.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00
HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM
$195.00
Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3
$219.99
Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99
SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99
Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99
Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99