Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Watching movies with Knoppix

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2

    Watching movies with Knoppix

    I have an old laptop with no hard drive. A new drive would cost more than the laptop is worth, so I wondered if I could use Knoppix to watch movies from the CD-Rom. I have a copy of Knoppix 3.3, but can't open the CD drive. Does Lnoppix lock the drive? I would have liked to make use of the laptop rather than throwing it out. Or is there a way round this?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    17

    mount /cdrom doesn't work

    Sorry, but I am having this problem also.

    In dsl Linux you just type

    mount cdrom as su, but with Knoppix this doesn't work.

    I am a new KNOPPIX user and have been trying to figure out how to do this.

    Cheers!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    200

    Re: Watching movies with Knoppix

    Quote Originally Posted by Curls
    I have an old laptop with no hard drive. A new drive would cost more than the laptop is worth, so I wondered if I could use Knoppix to watch movies from the CD-Rom. I have a copy of Knoppix 3.3, but can't open the CD drive. Does Lnoppix lock the drive? I would have liked to make use of the laptop rather than throwing it out. Or is there a way round this?
    The only way you can watch movies from CD-ROM is if they are formatted for DivX. And i'm not even sure if Knoppix has a DivX codec installed by default. What you would have to do (since you don't have a HDD) is run Linux from RAM. This is possible with some smaller livecd distros with the "toram" cheatcode. However, if the laptop is as old as you are saying it is, it will not have enough RAM to load Linux with a GUI and all of the programs necessary to watch movies. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but without a HDD, you're pretty much SOL when it comes to doing anything that involves the use of the CD-ROM drive. You might try watching the movie over the network, served by another machine, but I'm not too sure how you'd go about doing that.
    Also, I guess if the movie is DivX formatted, you might be able to load it on a thumb drive. But again, if the laptop is too old, it might not have USB.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2

    Re: Watching movies with Knoppix

    Quote Originally Posted by foamrotreturns
    Quote Originally Posted by Curls
    I have an old laptop with no hard drive. A new drive would cost more than the laptop is worth, so I wondered if I could use Knoppix to watch movies from the CD-Rom. I have a copy of Knoppix 3.3, but can't open the CD drive. Does Lnoppix lock the drive? I would have liked to make use of the laptop rather than throwing it out. Or is there a way round this?
    The only way you can watch movies from CD-ROM is if they are formatted for DivX. And i'm not even sure if Knoppix has a DivX codec installed by default. What you would have to do (since you don't have a HDD) is run Linux from RAM. This is possible with some smaller livecd distros with the "toram" cheatcode. However, if the laptop is as old as you are saying it is, it will not have enough RAM to load Linux with a GUI and all of the programs necessary to watch movies. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but without a HDD, you're pretty much SOL when it comes to doing anything that involves the use of the CD-ROM drive. You might try watching the movie over the network, served by another machine, but I'm not too sure how you'd go about doing that.
    Also, I guess if the movie is DivX formatted, you might be able to load it on a thumb drive. But again, if the laptop is too old, it might not have USB.
    Heh, I meant old in computer terms. It's 5 years old and is a 600mhz with 256 meg of memory, so it's still capable of doing some work. I was quoted 147UKP for a new drive for it but found out today that any 9.5mm high laptop drive will fit, so it will turn out to be a cheap movie player, once I get the drive I won on Ebay today. BTW, Knoppix has a video player called Xine which will play DivX-XviD. I just tried it out on my desktop and it plays OK.
    Cheers!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3
    http://movix.sourceforge.net/

    this might be what youre looking for ...

Similar Threads

  1. watching youtube videos
    By cyberwhip1991 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-25-2007, 01:53 AM
  2. trying to use knoppix 4.0.2 to watch DVD movies
    By Albretch in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-31-2005, 04:02 PM
  3. Prevent users from writing MP3's and Movies in Linux
    By emmbec in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-25-2004, 11:34 AM
  4. problems with DVD drive and playing dvd movies
    By DimGR in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-01-2004, 02:42 PM
  5. Watching Encrypted DVDs
    By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2003, 09:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$12.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01