-
Knoppix 3.4 can't get to boot prompt
I am trying to run the cdrom that came with the book Knoppix Hacks on my HP Pavilion 3100 desktop (old machine 166 MHz Pentium with MMX upgraded from 16 to 64 MB RAM, BIOS set to boot from CDROM drive -- 16x max). I cannot reliably get to the boot prompt, or even to the opening screen that says press F2 or F3, although sometimes I can. Usually after the BIOS start up and memory checks, the screen blanks, I get a message about ISOlinux, then
Disk error 01, AX = 420F, drive 9f (AX value varies sometimes it is 4289, or 4285)
boot failed, hit any key to retry (or something to that effect).
when I hit a key it tries to reboot and sometimes does the same thing, other times it runs lilo from my HD (did iI mention I have it set up to dual boot Win 95 and Mandrake 8.0? 
On the odd occasion that I have gotten a boot prompt, I have been unable to get X to run, even though I am able to do so under Mandrake 8.0 (even KDE works). But the first thing I need is to get past the Disk error message. Anyone know what might cause it? The CDROM spins like it is trying to read, but it just isn't succeeding.
Thanks
Similar Threads
-
By toasterstrudle22 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 07-07-2009, 06:00 AM
-
By Andrews in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-07-2008, 08:04 AM
-
By markraem in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-06-2004, 09:51 PM
-
By vega1970 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-02-2004, 11:41 AM
-
By bongski55 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-07-2003, 01:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...
$749.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$398.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14" i7-1165G7 2.80GHz 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Windows 11
$284.99

LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD
$235.00

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6" Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 40 2025 - 8GB Memo...
$379.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16" WUXGA Touch Ryzen 7 8845HS 16GB 512GB SSD FPReader
$571.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14" Touchscreen i7-1185G7 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$284.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50