Assuming you are using a NIC? I had the same problem once. I ran netcardconfig and told it to use dhcp and
my speeds went back to normal.
Im running Knoppix 3.8 Live CD. My Internet works fine, its just very slow loading pages. Do I have a setting wrong somewhere? I tried un-commenting the ipv6 line in modprobe.conf, but that didnt help. What am I missing?
Assuming you are using a NIC? I had the same problem once. I ran netcardconfig and told it to use dhcp and
my speeds went back to normal.
I have had this problem before on other systems long ago
and again recently (came back to Linux after some time).
This is what Kano suggested
(Notice the *off* not just an uncomment)
Maybe disable ipv6 support. Change ipv6 to off in
/etc/modprobe.d/aliases
and run
update-modules
be sure to remove ipv6 from
/etc/modules-$(uname -r)
too, it in there. Then try a reboot.
Like this:
alias net-pf-10 off
Also another gentleman suggested:
Konqueror is a killer browser, unfortunately it is crippled by a well-known problem with non-ipv6 compliant web sites. It sits there forever while trying to decide between ipv4 and ipv6.
To fix the problem, add the following line in /etc/environment:
KDE_NO_IPV6=true
Restart KDE and enjoy the speed!
After a reinstall and making sure there the * off * was in place
(I think an upgrade to my system may have added IPV6 back in)
and adding the KDE_NO_IPV6=true ,
my networking is not stalling on downloads
and seems back to normal.
If the dchp was not configured properly, I thought the internet wouldnt work at all. Hey, I will try it and post what it does. Do i just run netcardconfig from the command line? I have never done this before. Thank you for your help!
Yup, type netcardconfig in the shell and a box will pop up asking which eth to configure if you have more than one. The next to pop up will be "use DHCP? Click yes. You should see a ok message in the cli. If you click no, you can manually configure your interface. Worked for me because if I reboot from winblow$ it seems to mess up the NIC
I tried networkconfig and that did not solve the problem, web surfing is still slow. I did find the ipv6 setting in /etc/modprobe.d/ however I could not save the changes. I figured out how to sign in as root (open konsole terminal, type su , then type passwd it then asks for a new password, type it, and then confirm and your set)
I then went to file manager in super user mode, entered my new password and then was able to edit the ipv6 file and save it. The internet was still slow, I think it needs a reboot, so I restart it, and all my changes were lost.
Im looking now for 2 things,
-some way to save the config on my hard drive so knoppix will see it when it reboots or,
- some way to restart or refresh the changes I made without rebooting.
Im basing this on the fact i believe the ipv6 is the problem, just like i had with suse. Only with suse, it was no problem to change,save and restart the machine.
i just registered to ask some questions about this problem ... now i solved it myself
first i did what gary999 suggested above:
"Maybe disable ipv6 support. Change ipv6 to off in
/etc/modprobe.d/aliases
and run
update-modules "
but this did not seem to solve the problem.
if youre using firefox (and not konqueror) try typing "about:config" in the adress bar (leave away those ")
then do a search for ipv6
set it to false
-> youre done
(ill try disabling ipv6 only in firefox after my next reboot)
I have solved this one too, but in a different way. Here are the steps I went thru to get my speed back.
1. I had to get to root access. I done this as I posted before,
open konsole terminal, type su , then type passwd it then asks for a new password, type it, and then confirm.
2. I then went to Kmenu, system, more applications, file manager super user mode. Enter your password you just created. Now you can edit files and save them.
3. Open /etc/modprobe.d and make look for alias net-pf10 off IPv6 make sure the word off is in the line, if not add it, and save file.
4. Open /etc/modutils/aliases and uncomment (remove the number sign) in front of alias net-pf10 off IPv6 then save the file
5. Close the file manager.
Now you have to reboot, but if you do, all the changes you just made would be lost. So we have to save the configuration file somewhere so knoppix will see it when the machine is rebooted. I had to save the configuration file. Saving configuration requires a floppy disk, removable disk, USB drive, or a non-NTFS formatted drive. Go to Kmenu, Knoppix, Configure and select "save knoppix configuration. A window will pop up and ask you what you want to save. The next window will ask you where to save the file. Thats it. All you have to do when you reboot, when knoppix gets to the boot menu, instead of hitting "enter" just type "knoppix myconfig=scan" and press enter. It will save all you changes including wallpaper and icon settings and create a home folder where you can save your work. Im guessing you would need to save the config before each reboot so everything will stay current. I will post when I find out.
well if you want a permanent solution your version is better ... if youve got no usb stick or floppy (or you are just demonstrating knoppix) my one might be better (quicker)![]()

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99
Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99
Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard
$169.99
HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99
**77%-89% HEALTH**HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
$69.99
Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99
HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95
Seagate 3TB 3.5" HDD SAS Hard Drive Seagate ST3000NM0043 IBM 39U3719 7200RPM HDD
$27.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$84.00
HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy
$35.00