I have to restrain myself........ [hard day at work]
somewhat!
have you looked ?
it's
sudo knoppix-installer
you need permission, and if you haven't sudo'd you haven't doen it properly
Hello. I am brand new to Knoppix. I am trying to install Knoppix 3.8.1 to my HD. I run the knoppix-installer script, but when I get down to the partitioning part, cfdisk (I think) tells me that I do not have permission to write to the disk. The hard disk is blank totally with no partitions defined.
Can anyone give me a detailed description of how to install to my hard disk??
Thanks.
I have to restrain myself........ [hard day at work]
somewhat!
have you looked ?
it's
sudo knoppix-installer
you need permission, and if you haven't sudo'd you haven't doen it properly
I am following this install guide/thread (from the terminal, in su mode)
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18766
It is installing right now.
One question-
On my hard drive, I know I should have one main partition and one swap.
Is the main partition primary and the swap logical?
I am using cfdisk.
thinx there is some room for linux to cope with three REAL primary drives (?)
I've set mine to three partitions (not sure why)
small EXT2 - bootable
reasonable SWAP
rest EXT3
I have sucessfully installed it...
(more later)
It works well.
But when I was installing it, it seems to have ignored my swap partition-- the installer said "no swap needed".
![]()
Torgo,
I believe I get the same errors as you during knoppix-installer.
I am using an HP Pavilion ze4145 (notebook). Windows XP is installed first (60GB HDD), then I used qtparted to squeeze a 10GB partition for Linux. I first installed Mepis easily, but the desktop was ugly and slow. Now I am trying to install Knoppix 3.8... but ...
I tried sudo and su with the same error results. I tried the link you provided, too. What was your solution, Torgo?

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121
$69.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2
$135.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99