-
Junior Member
registered user
Need help recovering 2GB of Harddrive space
When I went through the knx-hdinstall, I left
all the partitions the way they were.
so I have
hda1 as the boot
hda5 as the swap
hda6 as an extra partition that was there.
if I do $ cat /proc/partitions i get
major minor #blocks name
3 0 5004720 hda
3 1 2887888 hda1
3 5 249448 hda5
3 6 1867288 hda6
In my /mnt I have hda1 and hda6 listed and I can access them, but
anything that I put into hda6 is seen as part of hda1.
When I use KDiskFree. It only recognizes hda1
so I am missing 2GB od space
can anyone help me recover the extra 2GB that are hidden?
thanks in advance for your help,
Luis
P.S. A simple step by step solution would be appreciated...I'm still learning linux.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You have to mount hda6. Use the mount command in a console window to see what is mounted on your system. If /dev/hda6 is not there then as root mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 will mount and now anything you save to /mnt/hda6 will be on the device hda6. If you want to use the space all the time you should modify the /etc/fstab to mount /dev/hda6 on boot.
[edit]
ie. remove the # from the /dev/hda6 line that should already be there.
[/edit]
-
Junior Member
registered user
Stephen,
The mounting worked! Thank you so much. One more question
This is my fstab file should I also uncomment the hda1 above hda6? Becuase It is already uncommented once
# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# partitions found by Knoppix
#/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
or should I just leave everything else as it is?
Luis
-
Senior Member
registered user
You just need it there once. Knoppix puts all partitions it finds in the fstab commented out. Good luck with Knoppix and post back if you have any problems.
Similar Threads
-
By tycopolis in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-18-2006, 11:54 PM
-
By tkurine in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-08-2005, 04:42 PM
-
By i3rutus in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-28-2004, 12:51 PM
-
By computerman0216 in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-14-2004, 04:42 AM
-
By fussyoldfart in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-25-2003, 08:56 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 850 Pro Series 2TB 2.5inch SATA3 6Gbp Internal SSD MZ-7KE2T0 5 Available
$189.00

SAMSUNG LC34G55TWDNXZA 34" Odyssey G55T WQHD 165Hz 1ms(MPRT) HDR Curved Gaming
$127.00

Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 Lite 10.9" 128GB Silver Wi-Fi SM-X400NZSAXAR
$206.00

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem
$152.99

Samsung 850 PRO 1TB SATA3 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive SSD 5 Available
$99.00

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc
$27.99

2TB Samsung 990 PRO NVMe SSD PCIe Gen 4 M.2 2280 - NEW - SHIPS TODAY
$329.95

Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible
$39.00

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping
$55.00

Samsung Chomrebook XE350XBA-K02US LCD Screen FHD Display 15.6" XE350XBA-K03US
$51.77