Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Troubles Booting to the CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3

    Troubles Booting to the CD

    I wrote the Knoppix V. 3.8.1 ISO to a blank cd using Nero. When I boot to the CD on my machine, it brings me to a command prompt titled Caldera DR-DOS and just says some stuff and then A:\> . What do I do here? Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Troubles Booting to the CD

    Quote Originally Posted by mrprimo55
    I wrote the Knoppix V. 3.8.1 ISO to a blank cd using Nero. When I boot to the CD on my machine, it brings me to a command prompt titled Caldera DR-DOS and just says some stuff and then A:\> ....
    That because you assumed that you knew what you were doing and took an option in Nero to make the CD bootable, rather than burning the ISO as an image, as explained in the Downloading faq reached by the documentation link near the top of this page. Been discussed over and over again in these forums, a little searching will find you plenty of discussion on how to burn properly.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3

    Re: Troubles Booting to the CD

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by mrprimo55
    I wrote the Knoppix V. 3.8.1 ISO to a blank cd using Nero. When I boot to the CD on my machine, it brings me to a command prompt titled Caldera DR-DOS and just says some stuff and then A:\> ....
    That because you assumed that you knew what you were doing and took an option in Nero to make the CD bootable, rather than burning the ISO as an image, as explained in the Downloading faq reached by the documentation link near the top of this page. Been discussed over and over again in these forums, a little searching will find you plenty of discussion on how to burn properly.
    Thanks for your help. Sorry to post such a stupid question.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Troubles Booting to the CD

    Quote Originally Posted by mrprimo55
    Thanks for your help. Sorry to post such a stupid question.
    Sure. Sorry I only pointed you to the important information rather than retyping it all here just for you so you wouldn't have to look at all for it.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3

    Re: Troubles Booting to the CD

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by mrprimo55
    Thanks for your help. Sorry to post such a stupid question.
    Sure. Sorry I only pointed you to the important information rather than retyping it all here just for you so you wouldn't have to look at all for it.
    No its okay because I understood and realized what I did wrong as soon as I read your reply without even going to look in the documentation.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1
    I'm just wondering why all the knoppix version will not display any video if the video card is built in to the Mobo. I usually type fb1024x768 hen it will display properly. Is there a way to automatically set that every time I start knoppix. Or do you know any site that I can visit so that I can inform them about the issue nd resolve it. Thank you and I appreciate any help!

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    >why all the knoppix version will not display any video if the video card is built in to the Mobo.

    perhaps this is true for you. But it is certainly not true for me. Knoppix has worked on Dell & Compaq systems with on board video, a rack mount server with on the Mobo video, and two $200 PCs from Wal-mart.com that both have on board video. These New and very old machines use a variety of graphics chipsets like intel i810, ati rage 128/rage pro, or SiS. I a cheat code that seems to work well is: knoppix screen=1024x768 xvrefresh=60

    I hope this helps.
    James

Similar Threads

  1. Troubles
    By HappyDays in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2005, 06:18 AM
  2. Troubles booting
    By Bonden in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-05-2004, 10:23 PM
  3. Cd rom troubles
    By DusteD in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 03:45 PM
  4. ok, it's on my hd, I have app-get troubles. a better way?
    By cameik in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 01:35 AM
  5. Troubles booting Knoppix...
    By knopperj in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2003, 10:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00