Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12

Thread: Ham Radio

  1. #11
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    I passed & got a novice license back in 1993 or 1994.
    You might want to check that ticket. If it was 93 and has not been renewed it's too late, if it was 94 you might still have time to renew it. It a ten year license but there is a renewal grace period. I could never get the hang of CW either. That's why I went for my tech license. Aced the test. The examiners seemed to want to get a few failed tests too so their averages would not look too good, and asked if I wanted to take the written for the General too. Took the written for the General and passed that too without ever studying any of it. They asked me to try for the Advanced and I got hit by too many inductor formulas that I didn't remember there. Never did even wanted to learn the code for the General though, I just see it as ham Radio's way of hazing new members and I want no part of it.

    I'm not even sure where the regulations are now. Last I checked the ARRL was recommending to the FCC that the General not need a code requirement but that it be kept for the Expert, andthat Advanced be dropped. My thinking on the mentality of the ARRL rhymes with Bold Heart, and I really resent their wanting to keep a special high privledge license around just for people who pass a code test but will never use the code again for the privledges that that license gives them. I had other ham friend ask if I would get a General license when the code requirement was dropped, but my response is that if the code requirement is kept for the Expert than I'll stick with my tech license. In an age of Internet as well as cheap and unlimited long distance phone calls for one low price, the incentives to use ham radio are rapidly being displaced by other things. If the ARRL is going to insist on keeping the code requirement for their little clique, then I'll be glad to see less support for that part of the hobby and the obvious result their short sighted seflishness seems to not see - the loss of those bands to other services because they worked hard to keep some people out of parts of the hobby.

    On the other hand, I've enjoyed my tech ticket. UHF and VHF frequencies are great. Lots of local repeaters in my area. I have never broadcasted to a satellite station; AO-27 went dark just as I got a radio that would do it, but if another FM UHF/VHF satellite gets up and operational I would love to give it a try. There are a few other interesting things you can do with a tech ticket and a little computer hardware too, like APRS. You might want to upgrade James.

  2. #12
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    78
    At least in the US:

    Currently the Advanced has been dropped, thoughs who have that licence are free to keep/renew it all they want.

    Extra & General still have a CW requirement.

    13 and 20 WPM CW have been dropped. Now you only need 5.

    I intend on taking the 5 WPM in early july and the General later that month...

    2 Year Grace period for the person who may not have renewed... theirs still time if you got it in '93.

    Glad to see there is some turnout, this aera is great for Hams. Though the Internet will and currently is going to be the death of Ham radio...

    73's
    KB3MGR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Kwlan Reports no Radio
    By borgward in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2009, 09:23 AM
  2. Radio
    By Jasieu in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-08-2006, 08:52 PM
  3. Realtime - online radio
    By diana in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 05:27 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 01:12 AM
  5. German Knoppix radio show
    By eadz in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-24-2003, 08:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98