-
Senior Member
registered user
kernel upgrade/rebuilt WTF
I'm desperately trying to rebuild the kernel (which looks to be the only way I can get some kind of dialup without a re-install). As far as I know I have all the tools necessary to do just that, but using the old symlink to the linux-2.4.20-xfs sources I get:
make xconfig make no rule to make xconfig (I get the same with make menuconfig but I've not checked that I have all the ncurses stuff). OK, I think, lets use the linux-2.4.20 sources. I pop them on, untar them, remove the old symlink, create a new one and try to cd into /usr/src/linux:
root@rom-box:/usr/src# cd /usr/src/linux
bash: cd: /usr/src/linux: No such file or directory
I check and, as you'll see, although the linux-2.4.20 directory is owned by root, the symlink is owned by knoppix! (This isn't, it would seem, the dear old user knoppix as suing to knoppix doesn't get me in either!). I'm completely stumped by this: chown has no effect, and isn't the rule of Linux that root rules all?
(BTW, why is the makefile outside of the source directory?).
root@rom-box:/usr/src# ls -l
total 33228
-rw-r--r-- 1 knoppix knoppix 80 Oct 5 2002 Makefile
-rw-r--r-- 1 knoppix knoppix 541 Dec 3 21:06 knoppix-kernel.patch
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root knoppix 11 Apr 13 23:34 linux -> linux2.4.20
drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 4096 Nov 29 00:53 linux-2.4.20
drwxr-xr-x 4 knoppix knoppix 4096 Jan 12 23:51 linux-2.4.20-xfs
-rw-r--r-- 1 knoppix knoppix 33963814 Feb 21 21:50 linux-2.4.20.tar.gz
drwxr-xr-x 2 knoppix knoppix 4096 Jan 18 2002 modules
I'm completely baffled by this: I'm trying to follow the Debian rules for rebuilding kernels and this installation just doesn't seem to want to know.
Similar Threads
-
By eris_pluvia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-19-2005, 06:52 PM
-
By massai in forum General Support
Replies: 32
Last Post: 01-25-2004, 09:08 AM
-
By balaclavabob in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-07-2003, 08:39 PM
-
By ferreter in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-19-2003, 10:23 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-14-2003, 08:32 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop
$40.00

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$59.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250
$25.99