Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix and programming

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7

    Knoppix and programming

    Hi I am new to Linux and was wondering if I could write programming languages with it.

    I know it comes with Kate but I need to write .NET and Java programs.

    I know there is a Linux version of the Java SDK but is that on the Knoppix CD and can I write and test Java programs? I know of a framework called Mono that lets Linux users make .NET programs but is that on the Knoppix CD?

    Any help would be great

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Just about every programming language know to geek-kind is supported on linux, let's see:

    Smalltalk (at least 3 dialects), Java, C, C++, perl, Python, Haskell, .NET, php, javascript, a few versions of Basic, and on and on. And there are free tools for them all. You're probably better off using gvim or emacs to write code than Kate, or grabbing one of the many IDEs out there.

    The Sun JDK isn't included with Knoppix, nor is Mono, or any of the Java or Smalltalk IDEs, but to be honest, you'd not really program from a liveCD anyway, would you?

    You need to do a Debian style install to HD and then apt-get the other tools, but if you're going for aHD install then Kanotix [knods to Harry, asleep in corner] is probably a better bet.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7
    ok thanks for the help mate.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In a house... hopefully
    Posts
    554
    you said something about .Net,

    i read a review about mono... its a linux equivalent of microsofts .Net, dont know if there is a debian type version yet?

    http://www.go-mono.com/

    hope i have been any use

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    51
    conio header file can't be included ?? why ??
    also some headers are missing ??
    Should I install libstdc ?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Quote Originally Posted by gnukish
    conio header file can't be included ?? why ??
    Because conio.h is a non-ansi compliant and Windows specific header file! You shouldn't be using it!
    Quote Originally Posted by gnukish
    also some headers are missing ??
    Should I install libstdc ?
    I've no idea. You hijack someone else's thread and don't tell us what you're trying to do. Our psychic ability is vastly over-rated. Please post your own thread and let us know what you're trying to do.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    51
    Sorry , Fingers .. I thought I should not waste space by opening another thread :-s
    I will pm you. Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. How to do device driver programming on Knoppix?
    By inguaravi in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 09:23 PM
  2. Programming...
    By chris-harry in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 09:36 PM
  3. basic programming
    By schunn99 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 02:22 AM
  4. Programming questions
    By i990315 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 09:25 AM
  5. Java programming?
    By VeeDubb in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-26-2003, 05:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard

$95.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00