Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Please excuse this one ...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cologne, Germany
    Posts
    31

    Please excuse this one ...

    I've recently moved from SuSE to Knoppix (HDD install) and find Knoppix great.

    Everything works fine but, to install my printer (a Canon i560) I need to install specific drivers. I've downloaded the drivers but in the instructions I am told to create 'symlinks'. For example ...

    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 Jun 25 23:37 libcnbpcnclapil56.so -> /usr/lib/libcnbpcnclapil56.so.2.2.0

    I have searched in my manuals and found no reference to symlink (mostly, I imagine, because I have general linux manuals) and I have googled the internet and, although I found hundreds of links to 'symlink' (all telling me to use a symlink), they don't tell me what a symlink actually is or how to handle/implement one. Arrgghh!

    So is it something specific to Debian? Is it an entry in a configuration file? Or a command-line entry? Or is it a path declaration? Or is it an action of compiliation (i.e. an library file created from a source file)?

    I think that I have a basic hole in my understanding and so am hoping that someone can either explain it quickly or can point me towards an suitable 'howto'. I'm sure I'll be OK once that hole is 'plugged'.

    Or maybe I need to buy a Debian handbook? Can someone recommend a good one? One that is easily understandable but doesn't treat you like a complete beginner.

    Many, many thanks.

    Yours,
    Alan Searle.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    markus@mrk-fujibox:~/temp/sym$ touch to-here
    markus@mrk-fujibox:~/temp/sym$ ln -s to-here from-here
    markus@mrk-fujibox:~/temp/sym$ ll
    total 0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 markus markus 7 May 8 12:00 from-here -> to-here
    -rw------- 1 markus markus 0 May 8 12:00 to-here

    Include the whole path when you symlink while it's easier to get it right. Symlinks are not debian specific.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Or maybe I need to buy a Debian handbook? Can someone recommend a good one? One that is easily understandable but doesn't treat you like a complete beginner.
    Download rute and/or Linux Cookbook

    Both are available as debs, so a search in Synaptic should turn them up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$42.99



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00