Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Network card wont work on boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1

    Network card wont work on boot

    Hello,

    I have a weird problem.

    I have just installed knoppix (Well, KnoppMyth - the knoppix distribution with the PVR software pre-installed). It all works fine, except for one thing. Whenever I reboot, the network card wont work.

    If I use the command netcardconfig under root, it comes back to life. (I dont even have to enter in the details - they are already there, I just hit enter enter enter).

    If I use the /etc/init.d/networking restart or /etc/init.d/networking start commands, they also do the trick, my network card pops back to life.

    If I run the ifconfig command (before I have brought the network card back to life), it gives me no information about eth0, only about lo.

    I have tried the steps at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12926 , and these have not helped.

    I'm kind of a linux newbie, so I dont know which log files I should be checking for more information. Any assistance would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Network card wont work on boot

    Quote Originally Posted by fweeee
    ...I have just installed ....... Whenever I reboot, the network card wont work..
    You might want to read through the hdd install forum. There are many reports there of the network card no longer working after a HDD install, and some resolutions too. If memory servers right the most common solution is some sort of permission issue, but I don't really remember the details. It is a very common problem when installing to hard drive though (works OK from CD, right?)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 08:29 PM
  2. pcmcia wlan card wont recognize on boot...
    By gotsanity in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 07:23 AM
  3. Proxim 11 b/g wireless card wont work. Argghhhh.
    By navfett in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-15-2004, 02:03 AM
  4. Network wont work without dhcpcd eth0, on every boot..
    By e2k in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 11:21 PM
  5. Network card not work
    By lubos in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 07:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor picture

Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor

$70.00



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable picture

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable

$75.00



Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01 picture

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01

$127.06



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



NOB VINTAGE Earthlink MailStation Standard 120 - Email Appliance picture

NOB VINTAGE Earthlink MailStation Standard 120 - Email Appliance

$29.99



Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card picture

Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card

$26.21