Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: HUGE THANKS!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1

    HUGE THANKS!

    I just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone here. Last week I was on vacation out of the country and while there my hard drive failed (Windows wouldn't boot). I know, I know, Windows right...

    Well I didn't have a drive with me (took my extra battery instead) so I was hosed. When i got back I bought a new drive for my laptop and an external enclosure to put my dead drive in (Windows wouldn't even reinstall unless I reformatted!). So I plugged it into Windows and nada, Windows would actually hard lock.

    So a friend suggested I try Knoppix (d'oh!) which I hadn't thought of yet. I did, OMFG! I'm using it now and have my other Windows PC mounted up and am copying my data accross the network now!!! So, in short you guys SAVED MY ASS!!!!!

    I had hours and hours of work on here that I would have lost, but most importantly I would have lost the 600 pictures I took on my vacation, honestly I would have paid to get them back if I'd had to. But thanks to you guys I'm getting it back now!!!

    As I run an open source project I know how helpful feedback is, and well while this isn't technically feedback I wanted you to know that you've saved me, I hope that puts a smile on your face!!! I'll also be posting in my forums just in case my users don't know about you guys....

    Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KICK ASS PRODUCT!!!!!!

    Ross Carlson

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In a house... hopefully
    Posts
    554
    i recomended to me friends to use it as a recovery system... its great as a recovery system (now all itneeds is a spyware, adaware, virus scanner in it, and you can do a full system recovery...)

    anyway... you will be suprised that the tecnical support on linux is alot better then winodws... instead of talking to people in india who have never seen a computer, you are actually talking to (evil) people who actually know what they are talking about, and you can read apon other peoples experiences (one's like how they modded there desktops, which makes you thing... "Hey thats cool... i wanna do that", and the info is just right there).

    now you know what your missing out on when using windows... please let me be the first to say welcome.. and hopefully we will be discussing more...


    oh i forgot to say this... the people here are real real friendly... you might ask a simple question and only want a simple answer, and they give you back a whole entire book of information regarding every little tiny point... i was here for a little while, and already we are having fun about me advitar (good fun i mean)... (what i say either makes no sence or is really really confusing, hence not simple). and they even try to help...

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Ross,

    Another point, either you didnt know, or notice, or, then again, maybe you did, is, that with Linux, you have direct contact with the people who actually wrote the operating system.

    A lot of the "tallent" that goes into the Linux Distributions, usually "hang out" in the forums, to assist, and see what problems are cropping up. Fabian hangs out here frequently, as does the writter of "Knoppix". In the case of Kanotix, which is a variant of Knoppix, the creator of that OS, Kano, hangs out frequently, as well.

    When it comes to Windows Support, it usually comes down to the same thing as trying to find someone in a "Home Depot", whereas, in the "Linux" community, help is only an irc chat, or forum, away... All one has to do is just, ask.

    As one final note, Ross. If Knoppix is one of the greatest "recovery" operating systems, just imagine, how good it is as your installed operating system

    Ms. Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. Huge Fonts - An Added Voice
    By GuyKnick in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2008, 04:10 AM
  2. ISO HUGE
    By babelbrennt in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-26-2006, 07:09 PM
  3. Just installing one app, but asks for a HUGE download
    By edwood in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-31-2005, 10:57 PM
  4. XMMS huge delay before playing mp3
    By roadrunner in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-17-2005, 08:09 PM
  5. huge error pleas help
    By Leipe_Po in forum Klik
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2005, 08:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



SAMSUMG 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA UA3-11 DDR4 M378A2G43BB3-CWE Memory RAM picture

SAMSUMG 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA UA3-11 DDR4 M378A2G43BB3-CWE Memory RAM

$90.00



Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM picture

Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM

$37.99



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00



Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB) picture

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)

$164.95



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



ot of 5 Mixed Brand 16GB DDR4-3200 CL22 SODIMM Laptop RAM (Micron/Samsung/SK hyn picture

ot of 5 Mixed Brand 16GB DDR4-3200 CL22 SODIMM Laptop RAM (Micron/Samsung/SK hyn

$319.99



SKhynix 32GB (2X16GB) DDR5 PC5-5600B PC Laptop Memory RAM   HMCG78AGBSA092N picture

SKhynix 32GB (2X16GB) DDR5 PC5-5600B PC Laptop Memory RAM HMCG78AGBSA092N

$300.00



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99



P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N picture

P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N

$1100.00