-
Junior Member
registered user
cannot mount floppy
Hello,
I'm new here in this forum, so this is my first question.
I've took a new hard-disk and installed Knoppix 3.8.1 on this disk.
My problem is: I cannot mount a floppy-disk (same with cdrom).
What I do:
in KDE I click on the icon
I can hear some movements of the head in the floppy-drive
I get a message by KDE:
- cannot execute command
- file:/mnt/floppy does not exist
By switching to a console I can see in /mnt:
lrwxrwxrwx floppy -> /mnt/auto/floppy
and /mnt/auto is empty but I cannot create the directory in there.
What am I doing wrong here?
A link to a FAQ is sufficient.
Thanks.
AugustQ
-
First check the line for floppy in /etc/fstab , should be like this:
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,users,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
Then do:
su
mkdir /floppy
adduser your_username_here floppy
The you can mount with: "mount /floppy", and set the device for the icon to /dev/fd0 to refresh it.
For cdrom try this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17348
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hello Markus,
and thanks for your hints.
What I did:
I checked /etc/fstab
the line looked exactyl like the line you described
Checked /floppy
the directory exists already as
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root [date+time] floppy
tried adduser:
I got >>user-name<< is already a member of group floppy.
When I click on the icon of the KDE-desktop I still get the same error-message:
file:/mnt/floppy does not exist
I did not try it via the mount-command, will check this later.
And thank for the hint to the cdrom-problem. I will check this later.
AugustQ
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hello Markus,
I've checked a bit. This is waht I found:
/etc/fstab has a line:
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
You told me: users I can see user
Could this be the problem?
Oops, checked again: mount /floppy
wokrs. So it looks like a problem in KDE-script.
AugustQ
-
Change "user" to "users" in fstab and refresh the icon by reselecting the device or just make a new icon.
-
Junior Member
registered user
cannot mount floppy
I have the same trouble.... when I typed mount /floppy as root.... the message that appear is
mount: /dev/fd0: can't read superblock
what can i do....
In adittion.... if i am runnig File manager as a Super User Mode, the are no problems....the proble is when I'm working like a simple usser
exists an solution persistent for all users ?
Thank a lot.... Frank
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hello Markus,
the problem is solved. Thanks for your help!!!
I created a new icon on the KDE-desktop (properties look different for this one) and htis cured the problem.
AugustQ
PS: sorry for the delay but I had some other work to do.
-
@gonzalezmfrank
What have you tried so far in addition to what was discussed in this thread?
Is the floppy formatted and can be read under windows?
@AugustQ
No problem about the delay, glad it works.
Similar Threads
-
By plener in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-06-2004, 01:00 AM
-
By SkyHawk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 02-14-2004, 04:40 AM
-
By akiruss in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-06-2004, 06:42 PM
-
By swingarm in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-18-2003, 07:31 PM
-
By rcook in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-05-2003, 11:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW
$225.00

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00

Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$177.21

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...
$599.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$399.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF
$435.99

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151)
$189.99

Lenovo Thinkpad T590 Gen1 8th Core i7 32GB 512GB Touchscreen RJ45 Win 11 Pro
$339.00

Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Micro Intel Core i5-8500T 2.1GHz 8GB RAM No AC/HDD/OS
$129.99