Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: cannot mount floppy

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    15

    cannot mount floppy

    Hello,

    I'm new here in this forum, so this is my first question.

    I've took a new hard-disk and installed Knoppix 3.8.1 on this disk.
    My problem is: I cannot mount a floppy-disk (same with cdrom).
    What I do:
    in KDE I click on the icon
    I can hear some movements of the head in the floppy-drive
    I get a message by KDE:
    - cannot execute command
    - file:/mnt/floppy does not exist

    By switching to a console I can see in /mnt:
    lrwxrwxrwx floppy -> /mnt/auto/floppy

    and /mnt/auto is empty but I cannot create the directory in there.

    What am I doing wrong here?
    A link to a FAQ is sufficient.

    Thanks.
    AugustQ

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    First check the line for floppy in /etc/fstab , should be like this:
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,users,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    Then do:
    su
    mkdir /floppy
    adduser your_username_here floppy

    The you can mount with: "mount /floppy", and set the device for the icon to /dev/fd0 to refresh it.

    For cdrom try this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17348

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    15
    Hello Markus,

    and thanks for your hints.
    What I did:
    I checked /etc/fstab
    the line looked exactyl like the line you described

    Checked /floppy
    the directory exists already as
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root [date+time] floppy

    tried adduser:
    I got >>user-name<< is already a member of group floppy.

    When I click on the icon of the KDE-desktop I still get the same error-message:
    file:/mnt/floppy does not exist

    I did not try it via the mount-command, will check this later.

    And thank for the hint to the cdrom-problem. I will check this later.
    AugustQ

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    15
    Hello Markus,

    I've checked a bit. This is waht I found:
    /etc/fstab has a line:
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0

    You told me: users I can see user
    Could this be the problem?


    Oops, checked again: mount /floppy
    wokrs. So it looks like a problem in KDE-script.

    AugustQ

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Change "user" to "users" in fstab and refresh the icon by reselecting the device or just make a new icon.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Venezuela
    Posts
    25

    cannot mount floppy

    I have the same trouble.... when I typed mount /floppy as root.... the message that appear is

    mount: /dev/fd0: can't read superblock

    what can i do....

    In adittion.... if i am runnig File manager as a Super User Mode, the are no problems....the proble is when I'm working like a simple usser

    exists an solution persistent for all users ?

    Thank a lot.... Frank

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    15
    Hello Markus,

    the problem is solved. Thanks for your help!!!

    I created a new icon on the KDE-desktop (properties look different for this one) and htis cured the problem.

    AugustQ

    PS: sorry for the delay but I had some other work to do.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    @gonzalezmfrank
    What have you tried so far in addition to what was discussed in this thread?
    Is the floppy formatted and can be read under windows?

    @AugustQ
    No problem about the delay, glad it works.

Similar Threads

  1. mount floppy user agida
    By plener in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 01:00 AM
  2. Missing Files Floppy and CDrom Can't Mount Floppy or CD
    By SkyHawk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 04:40 AM
  3. How can I mount my floppy drive??
    By akiruss in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 06:42 PM
  4. Can't Mount USB Floppy
    By swingarm in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-18-2003, 07:31 PM
  5. Mount a floppy
    By rcook in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2003, 11:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95