Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Installing knoppix to hard drive

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5

    Installing knoppix to hard drive

    Hello. I am brand new to Knoppix. I am trying to install Knoppix 3.8.1 to my HD. I run the knoppix-installer script, but when I get down to the partitioning part, cfdisk (I think) tells me that I do not have permission to write to the disk. The hard disk is blank totally with no partitions defined.

    Can anyone give me a detailed description of how to install to my hard disk??

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    I have to restrain myself........ [hard day at work]
    somewhat!

    have you looked ?
    it's
    sudo knoppix-installer

    you need permission, and if you haven't sudo'd you haven't doen it properly

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5
    I am following this install guide/thread (from the terminal, in su mode)

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18766

    It is installing right now.

    One question-
    On my hard drive, I know I should have one main partition and one swap.

    Is the main partition primary and the swap logical?
    I am using cfdisk.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    thinx there is some room for linux to cope with three REAL primary drives (?)
    I've set mine to three partitions (not sure why)
    small EXT2 - bootable
    reasonable SWAP
    rest EXT3

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5
    I have sucessfully installed it...
    (more later)

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5
    It works well.



    But when I was installing it, it seems to have ignored my swap partition-- the installer said "no swap needed".


  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    57
    Torgo,

    I believe I get the same errors as you during knoppix-installer.

    I am using an HP Pavilion ze4145 (notebook). Windows XP is installed first (60GB HDD), then I used qtparted to squeeze a 10GB partition for Linux. I first installed Mepis easily, but the desktop was ugly and slow. Now I am trying to install Knoppix 3.8... but ...

    I tried sudo and su with the same error results. I tried the link you provided, too. What was your solution, Torgo?

Similar Threads

  1. Installing knoppix on hard drive.
    By RicktheBrick in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 09:32 PM
  2. Installing Knoppix 3.1 on a second hard drive
    By algebraic in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 10:28 PM
  3. Need help installing Knoppix 3.8.1 to hard drive please
    By linuxnewbie01 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 03:55 AM
  4. installing knoppix on hard drive
    By DimGR in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 06:39 PM
  5. Can i use knoppix of a hard drive.? Without Installing.
    By stupidkid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2003, 06:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00