yes iirc both those would work, or burn the iso on a CD or even better DVD.
I have a really fast burner at the office. I used to download ISOs there and burn KNOPPIX CDs all the time. Now my office has blocked a ton of sites so I can't download most ISOs anymore.
Can I burn one CD at home and make my own ISO at work? Can I use 'cat' or 'dd' for this?
For example, how about:
Any other ideas out there?Code:dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/dev/hda2/home/misterG/my.iso
TIA,
AJG[/code]
yes iirc both those would work, or burn the iso on a CD or even better DVD.
--Your syntax is a bit off, but you have the general idea. I use ' cat ' for this; it's less resource-intensive than dd.
' time cat /dev/cdrom >/mnt/blah/dir/blah.iso '
Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
no the syntax is right for dd.
I have a really fast burner at home.Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
But I always burn my CDs at 4x. I've found that at higher speeds things are just not as reliable. One would certainly expect a burn on a drive by a good name drive manufacturer who advertises speeds like 52x to actually work, but the sad truth is they don't. There is an awful lot of error recovery information in a typical CD (so much so that you can store 800 megs of data on a 700 meg CD if you write in mode 2 and bypass the error recovery information!), and this error recovery often hides the problems of writing at high speeds, but there are real and serious problems.
I didn't want to believe this myself. But I became a convert when I burned several SVCD videos in mode 2. There were just way to many noticable and serious video problems. And I found that the problems "went away" if I burned the CDs at a 4x. Further, we have seen a lot of booting problem with Knoppix that have been determined to be the result of burning the CD too fast. Why? I dodn't know! One would expect the drive's error correction to kick in (the Knoppix disk is burnt with error correction data, not in mode 2), but either it doesn't or the errors are so extreme that there are too many to be corrected. Whatever ther reason, the fix is simple: burn at a slow speed. Here are just a couple of threads where high speed burn problems have been confirmed, but there are many more: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17788 and
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=78925#78925 .
I burn a lot of CDs. But I've learned the hard way that the ones I burnt at high speed are just not reliable. And I expect they will be even less reliable as they age. My advice is to burn at a slow speed. Yea, this is bad news if you want to crank out hundreds of CDs (but many pressing services will accept orders for as few as 100 and give you a better quality CD), but for one or two it only makes sense to burn slowly. And this also says a lot about what to expect if you buy a burnt CD from someone cranking them out to sell on e-bay; do you think they are taking the time to burn them slowly to get the best results for the user, or quickly so they can make money in the shortest amount of time?
Wow, thanx for all the input on this question already!
OK, so:
orCode:dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/dev/hda2/home/misterG/my.iso
should both work, but cat is quicker?Code:cat /dev/cdrom > /mnt/hda2/home/misterG/my.iso
Also, would I get an exact copy of the original ISO that I can check with the original md5sum?
BTW, Dave, I remember when you taught me about cat many moons ago.... Thank you!
Oh, and Harry, I don't ever burn at the max speed. At home I burn at 8x and at work I burn at 32x. The home burner is a 16x and the work one is much faster than 32x (sorry I forget exactly what the exact speed is at the moment).
TIA,
AJG
PS: I burn a lot of CDs for my students and for ebay and I always burn slow and test my CDs before distributing them to anyone.
--No, it's not.
--Look at it closely:
of=/dev/hda2/home/misterG/my.iso
--If he types that in verbatim, it will give him an error - " dd: opening `/dev/blah/blah': No such file or directory " -- because /dev/hda2/home... does not exist.
--Devices don't have subdirectories, filesystems do.
Originally Posted by OErjan
--Slightly OT, but when a loaner audio CD from the library ** EXPLODED ** in a hand-me-down 52X burner, I junked it. I refuse to buy anything 52x - or even 48x - anymore. 32x is as high as I'm willing to go. Even went out of my way to find a "slower" DVD burner; and my cdrecord sessions are limited to 24x.
--No problems so far. But good media definitely helps (Taiyo Yuden highly recommended.)
Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
--IIRC, yes the md5sum should match (at least after cat, which is my own experience.)
Note: Jorge, I corrected your dd syntax in the quote below.
Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
Dave, I figured you were referring to the "/mnt...."
BTW, what is bs=1M?
Thanx,
AJG

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1785.15
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$349.48
Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 8th Gen: Core i7-10510U, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, WIn 11 Pro
$299.99
Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$475.60
External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$15.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
APPLE MacBook Pro A2485 2021 16" M1 Pro 32GB 1TB SSD Gray Tahoe -Good
$899.99
HP ENVY x360 15 (15m-cp0) Pre-Owned Ryzen 7 2700U 32GB 1TB SSD Radeon RX
$349.00