Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: PLEASE HELP!!!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1

    PLEASE HELP!!!

    I will admit that I am a newbie to Knoppix but have been really trying to figure it out. Now here is my problem, I have my system booted with Knoppix, I am trying to recover files from a second drive, connected via usb, now Knoppix sees the drive and I can view the files on it but I can't copy them to my computers hard drive for the life of me. I have even tried to just move files around on the systems HDD and it won't let me do that either. Can anyone give me some kind of newbie breakdown of what I am doing wrong. Just for info sake, I have even tried to mount HDA1 using the terminal but knoppix tells me that it is already mounted.


    Someone help before I totally rip all my hair out.


    Laura33

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    72
    Hi Laura,

    I'm a newbie too, but sounds like one or both of these:

    1. You could be trying to copy to an NTFS partition, something that is not recommended. The two main Windoze XP partition types are FAT32 and NTFS. You can read or write to FAT32 but only read from NTFS. Right click on the drive icon and select "properties". If it's marked "read only" chances are it's NTFS.

    2. You don't have "permission" to write that file to the drive, which means to do it you'll have to do it as "root" or "super user". Open a terminal window and type:

    sux
    <enter your password>
    konqueror

    This will open the Konqueror file manager as root (which is what I'm guessing you were trying to use).

    Hope this helps, I'm still kinda new to this and I haven't used Knoppix in several months (I use Kanotix now) so I may not have it exactly right, but should be close enough to get you on the right path...

    Paul

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245
    PLEASE HELP!!! mmh, very bad title.

    Maybe you need right click on your hd icon\actions\make device vritable

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$89.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$246.00



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00