Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Ethical Issues in Open Source

  1. #1

    Ethical Issues in Open Source

    Hello all. I need to write a paper on the Ethical Issues involving Open Source for a college class. Our textbook is "Readings in CyberEthics: Second Edition". There are two articles that I read that pertain to Open Source, one is "Ethical Issues in Open Source Software" by Frances S, Grodzinsky, Keith Miller, and Marty Wolf. It gives a good overview of Open Source and the history involved. The other article is the famous, "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" by Eric Raymond. Both were very interesting to read, however, I would like to take a different approach or "spin" on the topic. The history of OSS is well known so I don't want to go the route everyone takes on the issue. Does anyone have any unique takes or suggestions for interesting topics that I could pursue? Thanks in advance.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Wow thank you. Did you have to write a paper too?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney/Australia
    Posts
    311
    >>
    I don't want to go the route everyone takes on the issue.
    >>

    How many routes are there,

    "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" tends to approach the issue from an analogy. Possibly you could draw attention to actual occurances. Such as Disney using Linux for development but retaining Windows in the office. Adobe wont port their document sw to Linux, and staff arn't smart enough to use anything else. Are Adobe the victims of a closed monopolistic beast ??

    How does non-disclosure aggreements, as associated with closed source projects stiffle development. Does closed source code prevent bug fixes, and security clean ups.

    What is it that drives perception ???

    etc.

    Focusing on a couple of modern real world examples could be an approach, while drawing attention to the way stated analogies relate to those situations.

    Did you know that the UK navy is going to use windows in the command areas of their nuclear sub fleet (shiiiiiiver) (grin). And the company doing the supplying/installation also has customers who have been or have the potential to be ... in conflick with the UK..

    I'm not actually at the moment, but i think one day, i might move into the bunker full time

    Good Luck though ...

    jm

    Code:
     -:-  If the system is the answer, then the question
                   must have been really stupid  -:-

  5. #5
    I have posted my first draft of the paper. This is the one I'm going to turn in for the class. Because it is a very short class (only three weeks long), I wish I had more time to work on it. Still, if you have any suggestions or comments please let me know. I would be happy to tweak and revise it over the summer.

    http://www.simpson.edu/~carlsonp/research.html

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Patrick,
    Good stuff so far.
    I have decided to respond to your paper at the LUGRadio forums: http://forums.lugradio.org/viewtopic.php?p=8264#8264
    Thanks,
    James

Similar Threads

  1. Linux/open source Commercial Collaboration?
    By vader in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 08:52 PM
  2. SuSE YAST to go open source
    By j.drake in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 11:40 AM
  3. First try at open source, but missing a driver I think
    By Refugee in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 04:39 AM
  4. hwsetup/ash-knoppix, are they open source ?
    By garyng in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 05:56 PM
  5. Open source 'Outlook' alternatives?
    By Tortoise in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 01:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD. picture

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.

$629.99



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$200.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$135.00



Ibm Computer Tower picture

Ibm Computer Tower

$400.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99