Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: mounting writable fat32 partition at startup

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3

    mounting writable fat32 partition at startup

    All,

    I've searched the forums and googled for this without any luck. I'm running Knoppix 8.3.1 and trying to get my fat32 partition to automatically be mounted read/write on startup.

    I start knoppix with the cheat code: knoppix fromhd=/dev/hde1 myconfig=/dev/uba1

    /dev/hde1 is mounted as /cdrom and is read only.

    I want it to be mounted as /mnt/hde1 and read/write.

    I tried changing the fstab file as follows:

    .
    .
    .
    /dev/hde1 /mnt/hde1 vfat users,exec,rw,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0 # I added this line
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    #/dev/hde1 /mnt/hde1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0 # I commented out this line
    .
    .
    .

    I saved my config to my usb jumpdrive /dev/uba1 and rebooted.

    This change had no effect, but the fstab file still has my changes. Is Knoppix loading my fstab from config too late to have an effect?

    How do I fix this?

    Thanks,
    Mike

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    It should work if you replace 'noauto' with 'auto' instead of just removing 'noauto'.

    ie:
    /dev/hde1 /mnt/hde1 vfat auto,users,exec,rw,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knopp ix 0 0

    If you find that your fstab is changing with each boot, the cheatcode 'nofstab' will correct that.

    I don't understand why your /dev/hde1 would be mounted as /cdrom, even your original fstab has it mounting as /mnt/hde1.

    'mount -a' (as root) should mount everything as specified in your fstab.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3
    I don't understand why your /dev/hde1 would be mounted as /cdrom, even your original fstab has it mounting as /mnt/hde1
    OK, I did more testing and discovered that /cdrom is being used as the mount point because I'm using the fromhd=/dev/hde1 cheat code.

    If I don't use this cheat code and let knoppix load from the CD, then that becomes /cdrom. /dev/hde1 is not mounted at all, but I can do a "mount -a" and then it will be mounted rw. Note: this behaviour is the same whether or not the auto option is in the fstab for /dev/hde1

    Using the fromhd cheat code mounts /dev/hde1 as /cdrom. (This must be necessary to load the image, since /cdrom does not appear in the fstab). Doing a "mount -a" at this point fails because the device is already mounted.

    Of course, I want to run with the cheat code for performance reasons. Is there any way to do this?

Similar Threads

  1. mount ext3 partition as writable (solved)
    By dmizer in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-13-2006, 02:38 AM
  2. recognizing a fat32 partition
    By django in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-09-2006, 06:32 PM
  3. Can't see data on Windows FAT32 partition
    By alex2004 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 11:20 PM
  4. FAT32 partition dissapeared??
    By country.hacker in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 04:23 PM
  5. How to write files onto FAT32 partition?
    By margaritaville in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 04:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4

$128.96



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES

$21.08



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08