Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: dvd and sound

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    16

    dvd and sound

    I'm trying to play a dvd on a Thinkpad T40 with knoppix 3.8.1.

    I boot from CD with the 'toram' parameter so that I can use the dvd drive later on. Since the T40 has some problems with sound, I need to run 'alsaconf' to get it sorted. then I need to install the libdvdcss2 package. this fails with some segmentation fault.

    when I install the libdvdcss2 package before i run alsaconf, libdvdcss2 gets installed properly but alsaconf fails with a segmentation fault.

    anyone have a clue why the two don't like each other ?

    Thanks....

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Where did you get libdvdcss2 from? Since it is not is Debian main, did you get it from http://debian.video.free.fr/ ? And since that is unsupported, have you tried compiling libdvdcss2 from source?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    Where did you get libdvdcss2 from? Since it is not is Debian main, did you get it from http://debian.video.free.fr/ ? And since that is unsupported, have you tried compiling libdvdcss2 from source?
    I downloaded libdvdcss2 from www.videolan.org - I got the link through a search on this forum - they have a .dep package there, its version 1.2.8

    And no - I didn't compile it from source... I didn't intend to, anyway, since I consider myself as a bloody user, not a bit-charmer.... :P

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang-s
    .... I didn't intend to, anyway, since I consider myself as a bloody user, not a bit-charmer.... :P
    Welcome to Linux. You may find that sometimes the only way some Linux programs are available is as source code. This really isn't a problem, it's probably a very good thing to get users used to the idea that they compile their own sources. The first time I had to do this (a couple of years ago), it was really no problem at all beyond making sure I had a FAT partition that I could write to. It's some thing a Linux user should embrace, not resent.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    It's some thing a Linux user should embrace, not resent.
    Depends on what you want to do with your computer... I want to play a dvd, not compile software.

    But since I started this, if you tell me how to get the source, how to compile it ant afterwords get it to run - on knoppix booted from CD, of course - I'll give it a try. Maybe compiling code is more interesting than watching the dvd. And the weekend is close anyway...


  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang-s
    ....But since I started this, if you tell me how to get the source, how to compile it ant afterwords get it to run - on knoppix booted from CD, of course - I'll give it a try. Maybe compiling code is more interesting than watching the dvd.
    I know nothing about the package you are talking about. From what I read above compiled versions are available. You likely can find the sources with minimal searching though.

    In my case, where only sources were offered, I needed to compile it myself. I simply downloaded the sources and looked at them. Full instructions for the command line to compile them including all of the right switch options were right in the source. I just typed in the command line as spelled out in the source and had a runnable program. In the process I had a chance to look at what the program was really doing and I even found a few features available in the code (and nicely commented there) that were not mentioned in the help that the program gave when it listed it's options. So by reading the source I was in much better shape to use the software (a network card inspection tool) than I would have been if I had just been able to download a compiled program and never saw the source code.

    Some Linux code is offered as pre-compiled programs. I certainly don't fault anyone for accepting and using them. But some is only offered as source code that you compile yourself. You are doing yourself a disservice if you say "I just want to run it, not compile it" and dismiss the software just because you don't want to type in a simple compile line.

Similar Threads

  1. No sound w/ Live CD - onboard sound card, Asus/Via
    By AngelFch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 07:53 PM
  2. ASUS integrated sound chip recognized but no sound
    By saxguy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 06:15 PM
  3. SOund card fun:Sound Blaster Audigy OEM also Radeon 9600Pro
    By Battousai in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
  4. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 04:45 PM
  5. Maxi Sound Muse half channels sound
    By dobell in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 07:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$94.95