-
Just the base
Is there an easy way to take knoppix and strip it down to the "knoppix heart" and KDE? I want to start from a Knoppix-KDE blank slate. Then add only a webbrowser and a couple of games.
I figured I would really mess things up if I just apt-get --purge remove [everything]
Thanks for your help
-
Senior Member
registered user
As far as I can tell, there is no easy way. The way to proceed is to be very cautious and remove a few packages at a time. Then make the cd ISO image and test it out. If it is OK, then go back & continue removing packages.
There are other live CD distros that are smaller and more streamlined (Damn Small Linux, Feather Linux) or that use a modular packaging format (morphix). Unlike those bottum -> up distros, Knoppix is more of top -> down where you have to first remove a package to make space so that you can add a package.
This removal of packages has been brought up before:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15614
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15529
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=62667#62667
If you just want to do package add/removes without having to type out all the big mkisofs commands, then I suggest my own HOWTO: Remaster the easy way using menu based scripts
I hope this helps.
James
-
why i ask
The reason I ask is that I want a user to be able to boot up with the cd and have access to a couple of programs but take away all the stuff that may confuse a computer newbie or may enable a computer geek (ethereal, install script, etc)
Similar Threads
-
By Tech2k in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-25-2005, 09:32 PM
-
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-24-2005, 06:31 PM
-
By Rink in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-19-2004, 09:40 AM
-
By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 08-08-2003, 05:03 PM
-
By athlonthunder in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage 101 BASIC Computer Games Book David Ahl 1974 2nd Print DEC Digital Rare
$135.00

Apple Power Mac G4 Media Software Install Restore OS 9 X Disc Lot 603-0711 Vtg
$100.00

HP 360LX Palmtop PC Vintage Pocket Computer, working, Stylus included.
$69.00

Compaq Presario 1640 Laptop HP 2940A Vintage Computer, Power Supply and mouse
$159.95

Vintage Shuttle K48 Small Form Factor Pc FOR PARTS OR REPAIR
$100.00

Vintage Julien Le Roy Burgundy Leather Briefcase Top Handle Satchel
$94.99

Vintage Microtech Europa 40 External SCSI Hard Drive (For Parts/Untested)
$59.95

Vintage 90s PC Lot of 3.5 Floppy Disks Home Office Productivity CAD EXCEL WP AOL
$60.00

TeleVideo Vintage Personal Computer Terminal (nice condition)
$280.00

Vintage Intel EtherExpress PRO LAN Adapter With Flash BRAND NEW
$29.99