-
How to write on a ntfs Drive?
First of all: Excuse my bad english!
I need to repair a crashed Win2000 System. All i have to do is copy some files to /system32, but the Harddisk is formated in NTFS.
When I right-click the hdd icon on the desktop and choose "make read/writeable" a warning tells me not to write to an NTFS partition! Data corruption may result. I should use the captive-ntfs drivers or try to manualy write on the partition.
But how do i do that? Where can i find the right captive-ntfs driver pakage and how to install it?
thank you!
stefan
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: How to write on a ntfs Drive?

Originally Posted by
oizo
First of all: Excuse my bad english!
I need to repair a crashed Win2000 System. All i have to do is copy some files to /system32, but the Harddisk is formated in NTFS.
When I right-click the hdd icon on the desktop and choose "make read/writeable" a warning tells me not to write to an NTFS partition! Data corruption may result. I should use the captive-ntfs drivers or try to manualy write on the partition.
But how do i do that? Where can i find the right captive-ntfs driver pakage and how to install it?
thank you!
stefan
From what I saw posted (no actual experience using it) captive seemed to lower but not eliminate the chance of destroying your data. I don't think there has been any work done on it in a while and it has apparently been dropped from the most recent Knoppix. My thinking is to avoid it. Your best bet is to recover what you feel you need to from the corrupt system (to an external device, CD or DVD, or another computer on a network) and then completely repartition and reinstall from your original disks.
Win2000 used NTFS???
-
Thank you for your answer.
Backup the Datas is the first i'll do, before starting any experiments.
But i think copying the file could be the easiest way to recover the system. I want to try it.
Where can i find more Information how to activate captive ntfs with knoppix?
And Windows 2000 Pro has NTFS support.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
oizo
...But i think copying the file could be the easiest way to recover the system. I want to try it.
Where can i find more Information how to activate captive ntfs with knoppix?
I guess Google, beyond that I do not provide any advice that would actually encourage people to use it.
Similar Threads
-
By dcleghorn in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-02-2006, 10:46 PM
-
By tunasashimi in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-13-2005, 03:33 AM
-
By harry66 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-30-2005, 05:03 PM
-
By David Ormsby-Gore in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-08-2004, 09:45 AM
-
By terminator in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-12-2004, 10:52 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair
$323.75

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Golf Challenge - Sierra On-Line - 1982 / Atari 400/800
$199.95

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800
$59.99

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit
$199.97

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm
$48.95