Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How to disable login as root with no pwd when fsck is forced

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Argentona - Catalonia
    Posts
    2

    How to disable login as root with no pwd when fsck is forced

    Dear people:

    I'm new using Linux, and I've choose Knoppix because seems so easy to install and have common applications to work.
    First of all, excuse me because my english is so poor.
    Second, excuse me if my doubt is so trivial and I've been able to find this information.


    The question
    ============
    At work, when there's any electric problem that reboots my computer, the system boots and forces a fsck. At the end, shows a "CTRL+D to exit this shell and reboot" message.

    The main partition is mounted as root in read only mode, and anyone could mount this partition as rw so easily as root (system doesn't request root's password).

    Is there any way to disable this fsck as root? Or allow it, but requesting password?

    I've thought that I could allow BIOS password at startup, but it's not an elegant solution...

    I've been reading FAQs, looking over Internet and reading some messages of this forum, but I don't know if is there any way to do it.

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: How to disable login as root with no pwd when fsck is fo

    Err... Have you thought about turning the computer off when you're not there? Or purchasing a UPS?

    --Yah, I know, not exactly what you asked, but I'm trying to help outside the box.

    --Are you using a journalled filesystem? (ext3, reiserfs, etc)

    Quote Originally Posted by Xevi
    Dear people:

    I'm new using Linux, and I've choose Knoppix because seems so easy to install and have common applications to work.
    First of all, excuse me because my english is so poor.
    Second, excuse me if my doubt is so trivial and I've been able to find this information.


    The question
    ============
    At work, when there's any electric problem that reboots my computer, the system boots and forces a fsck. At the end, shows a "CTRL+D to exit this shell and reboot" message.

    The main partition is mounted as root in read only mode, and anyone could mount this partition as rw so easily as root (system doesn't request root's password).

    Is there any way to disable this fsck as root? Or allow it, but requesting password?

    I've thought that I could allow BIOS password at startup, but it's not an elegant solution...

    I've been reading FAQs, looking over Internet and reading some messages of this forum, but I don't know if is there any way to do it.

    Thanks,

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Argentona - Catalonia
    Posts
    2

    Re: How to disable login as root with no pwd when fsck is fo

    Thanks for your answer, Dave.

    I have some scripts running every night. A UPS is expensive; must be better password-protect the computer in Bios menu... so thanks for your suggestion.

    I'm using ext3.

    Regards,

    Xevi

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    Err... Have you thought about turning the computer off when you're not there? Or purchasing a UPS?

    --Yah, I know, not exactly what you asked, but I'm trying to help outside the box.

    --Are you using a journalled filesystem? (ext3, reiserfs, etc)

    Quote Originally Posted by Xevi
    Dear people:

    I'm new using Linux, and I've choose Knoppix because seems so easy to install and have common applications to work.
    First of all, excuse me because my english is so poor.
    Second, excuse me if my doubt is so trivial and I've been able to find this information.


    The question
    ============
    At work, when there's any electric problem that reboots my computer, the system boots and forces a fsck. At the end, shows a "CTRL+D to exit this shell and reboot" message.

    The main partition is mounted as root in read only mode, and anyone could mount this partition as rw so easily as root (system doesn't request root's password).

    Is there any way to disable this fsck as root? Or allow it, but requesting password?

    I've thought that I could allow BIOS password at startup, but it's not an elegant solution...

    I've been reading FAQs, looking over Internet and reading some messages of this forum, but I don't know if is there any way to do it.

    Thanks,

Similar Threads

  1. Disable auto login in Knoppix 6.2
    By rajasekaran in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-08-2013, 10:52 AM
  2. Newbie needs to disable graphical login manager
    By shplad in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-18-2005, 04:58 PM
  3. Can not login as a regular user....forced to use ROOT
    By Orion Pax in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 01:50 PM
  4. how to disable the login screen?
    By sgoodall in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 05:50 PM
  5. Password protection and forced graphical login
    By jmrizz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-31-2003, 05:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5  2x6248R  24 core 3.0G   24x64g DDR4-2933 ram picture

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram

$112000.00



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$96.60



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08