I am 'totally' new to Linux, hence why I am posting this question in this forum. So here's hoping for a successful trip down the open source route with this being my very first post about an issue.
I have read the book about the basics, I am IT literate anyway, but saying that no nothing at all about any form of Linux / Unix, so do not know the command lines to use, or even how to get to the command line interface (I am happy with DOS command line however).
I want to prove to myself - and others - that I can live without the total dependancy on Windows, so downloaded what I thought was the best Linux to start with - Knoppix. So, here's my first problem...
I am using wireless to connect to the Internet via a Linksys WAG54G and external USB Linksys network adapter. Now the basic book says that Knoppix is built around Ethernet as the main LAN connection, so is difficult to get working with external USB devices. However, I know you experienced *nix users will get me round this, but please explain for the first time how to do this in really easy baby like steps - especially if I need to use the *nix command line - it would be useful to understand the commands you suggest I execute.
Once you have helped me to solve this, I won't feel quite so helpless when faced with Linux for the first time knowing that people like you are out there to explaing things clearly until I 'click' into action under my own steam.

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$89.99
2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47
LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80
Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$218.79
128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99