Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: X Won't Start After Install

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3

    X Won't Start After Install

    I have installed Knoppix on computers before, and never had a problem. Now, I have this older computer I want to give away to a needy family and have Knoppix running on it, but the install is giving me trouble. The install completes, but I can't get it to boot into X, and once I log in at the text login prompt and type "startx" it blinks, coughs and then gives up with no X. I can't see anything in the messages that indicates the problem, but I'm not very good with this stuff.

    The computer is a Gateway, 350Mhz Pentium II with 128MB RAM and a 10GB HDD. I have a 500+MB swap partition configured. Knoppix 3.8.1 and 3.7 both work beautifully when run from CD on this computer. I'm installing with the "Beginner" option of the knoppix-installer script, for a multi-user env. with hardware detection.

    Where do I start?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Sound like it video card is not properly detected or monitor is set to use a refresh rate higher than it can support.
    In order for us to help you generate a proper GUI config file, you will need to identify the video card & monitor. To get the video card info, boot off of knoppix CD and do a: lspci -v
    Copy & paste the contents here.
    Reboot & next from the HD installed system:
    Copy the existsing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to a back up location.
    Code:
    cd /etc/X11/
    cp -p XF86Config-4 /usr/src
    Then try to run the command xf86config. It is a text based question & answer script designed to generate a new config file. It will ask you about the keyboard, mouse, monitor model & refresh rates, video card model/resolution/color depth.
    Either myself or someone else will be able to help you along.

    I hope this helps.
    James

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 5.1: howto start beryl after HD-install?
    By pinoc in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 11:56 AM
  2. Cannot start application from desktop (hdd-install)
    By mkjtravel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 05:02 AM
  3. can not start up after hd install
    By RNK in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 04:04 PM
  4. HD Install no auto network start
    By jdoe in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 10:34 PM
  5. Knoppix HD Install Quick Start
    By beforewisdom in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2003, 02:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99