Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Help me!

  1. #1

    Help me!

    I am desperately seeking some assistance to rescue my files from my laptop.

    Here's the scoop, and forgive me if I'm not providing complete info but I have very little experience with Knoppix and I'm not the smartest person when it comes to computers:

    I have a Compaq Presario X1000 laptop which was until recently running Windows XP. Then for some inexplicable reason Windows XP decided it would no longer start up. A friend suggested I use a Knoppix disk he had to see if my files were still intact and they are. Now my problem is how do I get them off my computer before reinstalling Windows XP? My computer doesn't have a CDRW drive although it does have an internal SD drive. The internal SD drive does not seem to work with Knoppix so my 1Gig SD card is useless. I thought I might use my Lyra MP3 player which has a USB connection, but for some reason I can only copy onto a small portion of the space that's on it. I can't figure out why that is. Nor does the SD Card drive on the player work either.

    I'm at something of a loss and my budget really doesn't allow me to buy something else right now. Can anyone help me? Is there anyway to make my internal SD drive work? Or to fix my USB drive? Or anyother suggestions???

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    72
    At the risk of sounding stupid: what's an "SD disk"?

    Sounds like you've got to options (I may not be able to give you specific answers but maybe enough for you to search and figure it out):

    1. If you've already booted Knoppix and can see your Windoze files, that means you've already "mounted" your Windoze partitions. All you've got left to do is to find some media (external drive or such) that you can mount and copy the Windoze stuff onto.

    2. The cause of your problem with XP could be that your MBR has been overwritten or lost. There are ways to recover this (recently Kano @ the Kanotix forum showed me how) from Linux. You might be able to recover this way. Of course, there are alot of other things that may be causing the problem too.

    I don't know if I've helped you, good luck!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    "Secure Digital (SD) memory drive used for transferring or storing files between multiple products such as notebooks, desktops, and select pocket PC's, printers, and digital cameras. Users insert an SD storage card into the digital drive device to customize storage capabilities, while a unique extender cable allows access to hard to reach USB ports." ? (Google is our friend)

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    72
    ... ahhhh... (n00b scratches head as brain absorbs information...) thanks, learned something today

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Plug the usb drive in and type dmesg in a console. It should give you a device like sda1 or uba1.
    Otherwise you can have it plugged in on bootup and do cat /etc/fstab to see if it was correctly identified.
    If you have a line for it in fstab it can be mounted with : sudo mount /mnt/mountpoint_from_fstab
    Even if it's not in fstab you can mount it with:
    sudo su
    mkdir /pen
    mount /dev/device_from_dmesg /pen -t vfat

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black picture

Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black

$44.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120 picture

5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120

$999.00



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07