-
Junior Member
registered user
Something Interesting.
First, let me just say that I'm still a relative noob when it comes to remastering Knoppix, and I'm not a linux / unix expert by any means, so I still have a lot left to learn.
I've been all over the forums looking for an answer to the remastering problems with KDE menu items, and kicker panel item changes not appearing when booting from the ISO that's created from a remaster.
I've spent the better part of the day trying to figure out why when my CD's boot they look nothing like when I go into KDE from my remaster environment, and I think the answer lies more with user permissions then rsynch commands in the 45Xsession file.
This is what I noticed. If I boot from one of my remasters, and simply type "knoppix 2" at the boot prompt, the cd boots, but does not enter KDE.
If I type whoami, the response at this point is root. So if I simply type "startx" at this point, and KDE starts, my remaster looks exactly as it should. If I now exit the current kde session, and su - knoppix, and run startx again. viola! desktop appears as it aways does. So, permissions problem....
Now the frustrating thing is figuring out what exact permissions are incorrect. If I take the .config dir from /home/root and move that to /home/knoppix and chown it to knoppix, this doesn't do that trick, so there is something else that is a problem.
I think it has more to do with when remastering, when packages are installed, they are more then likely installed so as to give user/owner privledges to root, therefore user knoppix by default does not have sufficient permissions to access them, I would assume this would be true for additional themes, icons etc.
So one way of cheating that will probably work, is to just add the knoppix user to the root users group. I did that, su'd to user knoppix and then ran startx, and what I see is now 90% of my remaster looking the way it should.
So I still have some things to figure out, but if someone knows if I am on the right track, let me know. There has to be a simple answer to this somewhere.
Similar Threads
-
By cyber_mage in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-14-2006, 02:33 AM
-
Replies: 13
Last Post: 05-26-2006, 03:35 PM
-
By maxmartin in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-19-2006, 06:19 PM
-
By dwatkins in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-21-2004, 04:08 PM
-
By MattT in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-18-2003, 05:55 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot of 10 SK Hynix 32GB 2Rx4 PC4 2400T HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH Memory (320G total)
$1300.00

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM
$184.95

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM
$329.99

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

16GB(2x 8GB) Crucial DDR3L-1600 SODIMM / Lot of 2 8GB / Laptop RAM Memory / A25
$17.99

Samsung (8X32GB) 256GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-RB2-12 Registered ECC Memory DDR4
$1649.99

6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US
$3.95

32GB Kit 4X 8GB DELL PRECISION WORKSTATION T5500 T5600 T7500 T7600 Memory Ram
$44.99