-
Junior Member
registered user
Want to build a Linux file server
So I have decided to build an inexpensive Linux-based file server, and am looking around for sufficient hardware.
I came across this PC kit from Tiger Direct which seems to be a bargain ($99):
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...rs_.listcode%%
I will need to add hard drives and (I think) a basic video card, but it seems inexpensive and expandable down the road. I will probably start with a single EIDE drive and add on an SATA controller + drives as time goes by.
So my questions:
a) Do you see any hardware that is missing from the list, or that is known to be problematic with Linux?
b) I am planning on Linux Debian + Enterprise Volume Management System + Samba. The clients will be all Windows based. Any ideas for software configuration?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have not used many PC Chips systems, but of the ones I have used, well frankly, they sucked. At the core of that system is a PC Chips motherboard & is the very bargain basement mobo. Maybe I'm wrong, but I still don't trust PC Chips.
Here is a system I just spec'ed up at Newegg.com. It is a bit more expensive than what you were looking at. But I can verify that I am using that very same motherboard in not 1 but 2 Linux systems. Now if this system is just a personal toy type system, then feel free to buy either the tiger or the Newegg parts.
CPU Thermal Paste / Grease -
Arctic Silver Ceramique Thermal Compound - OEM
Model #: Ceramique
$5.99
Motherboard - ASRock K7S41GX Socket A (Socket 462) SiS 741GX Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: K7S41GX
$44.99
Fan & Heatsink - SPIRE 5F271B1L3 80mm Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink for Socket A - Retail
5F271B1L3
$9.99
RAM Memory- pqi POWER Series 256MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Unbuffered System Memory Model MD3456UOE - Retail
Model #: MD3456UOE
$18.75
CPU Processor -AMD Duron 1.8 Applebred 266MHz FSB Socket A Processor Model DHD1800DLV1C - OEM
Model #: DHD1800DLV1C
$46.99
Subtotal: $126.71
Shipping: $18.39 to fortworth TX
Total: $145.10
However if this system is supposed to be a full time server, then you are better off buying even more quality reliable parts.
got-apex.com is a coupon & deal site. They have coupons for PC makers frequently. Get a new system with warranty for under $400 and save your self some support headaches. Every once in a while, dell has a deal on an entry level server for under $600, usually about $540. Dell server, Dell parts, Dell waranty = less headaches. As a sysadmin that must keep 100+ unix & linux systems running, that is my recommendation.
Similar Threads
-
By johnrw in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-08-2009, 11:38 PM
-
By sirpj in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-22-2007, 02:39 AM
-
By FONE_STAR in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-14-2006, 08:01 AM
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-06-2006, 04:32 AM
-
By TheCyberDude in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-03-2003, 03:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE
$225.00

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone
$225.00

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$19.99

Lot of 4 Cisco CP-8841-3PW-NA-K9 8841 MPP Multiplatform VoIP IP Phone NEW
$450.00

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99