Open a console window and su to become root and then sndconfig to run the sound configuration utility.
Hi, I booted up the cd with the alsa trick and the onboard sound on my Gigabyte GM7VK motherboard and I get sound, albeit a little quiet and staticy, I had an old SB16 laying around and booted the machine up with it, the cd boot detected the card and it worked great. However when I put the cd to hd with KNXinstall the sb16 isn't used and I can't find any way to select it. All i would like to do is use this machine to listen to some shoutcast streams but xmms comes up with : Couldn't open audio: please check that 1: You have correct output plugin selected. (I think I do) 2: no other program is blocking the soundcard (none is afaik straight boot) and 3: your soundcard is configured properly (shouldn't it be the same driver as when it booted from cd>)>?)
Any ideas?
Other than that I have sucessfully got knoppix HD install to network boot over to 3 other machines and its brilliant, thanks for a great product.
output of LSPCI follows:
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8375 [KM266] Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP]
00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 05)
00:09.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port (rev 05)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233A ISA Bridge
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586/B/686A/B PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:11.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 23)
00:11.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 23)
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 40)
00:13.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. [ProSavageDDR K4M266]
Open a console window and su to become root and then sndconfig to run the sound configuration utility.
Tada..
Thanks, that one should go in the Faq
(also get people to make sure their sound cables are plugged in all the way too...)
cheers,
One
It does help to hear it.Originally Posted by Onetrack

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used
$39.99
Lot of Vintage Ribbon Cables Untested Sold As Is
$99.99
Vintage Panasonic Sr. Partner RL-H7000 Computer w/Service Manual & DOS Disks Cov
$275.00
DayStar Digital Turbo 040 Macintosh Accelerator Card Motorola 68040RC40 Vintage
$599.00
DayStar Digital 68030 50MHz Macintosh Accelerator Card w/ 68882 FPU Vintage
$399.00
VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC
$24.95
Vintage Zak McKracken Alien Mindbenders Big Box Commodore 64/128 Insert UNTESTED
$205.00
Vintage AppleCD 300i Plus CD-ROM Optical Drive SCSI 1993 Used
$47.99
Vintage Mitsubishi CDVR412 CD-RW Optical Drive SCSI 50 Pin Used
$47.99