Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Help needed with wireless and ethernet.....

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1

    Help needed with wireless and ethernet.....

    I have HP ZE4101 with built in ethernet(national semiconductor DP83815) and Netgear PCMCIA MA401 wireless card. I am running KNOPPIX 3.2(4-10-2003 build) from CDROM(boot). Here is the brief description of problem.

    1) With wireless card (PCMCIA), plugged in, boot fails but if I use nopcmcia, boots fine. How to solve this so that I can use wireless card? I tried to follow instructions provided by someone on this forum but can not execute "rm /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts".

    2) While connecting to LAN via ethernet, I get error that DHCP failed or something. I tried KNOPPIX->Network card configuration, it opens another window and does DHCP broadcast and then says it failed, hit enter to exit. My internet gateway router is MR814. When I run KNOPPIX from my desktop, connected to the same MR814, it works fine but from laptop it does NOT work at all.

    3) My NTFS partition are seen by KNOPPIX but its ready only. I think Linux can read NTFS but can not wite to it. Linux can read and write FAT32 if I am not wrong.

    Can some one help with step by step instruction?[/code]

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Help needed with wireless and ethernet.....

    Quote Originally Posted by yugpatel
    I have HP ZE4101 with built in ethernet(national semiconductor DP83815) and Netgear PCMCIA MA401 wireless card. I am running KNOPPIX 3.2(4-10-2003 build) from CDROM(boot). Here is the brief description of problem.

    1) With wireless card (PCMCIA), plugged in, boot fails but if I use nopcmcia, boots fine. How to solve this so that I can use wireless card? I tried to follow instructions provided by someone on this forum but can not execute "rm /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts".
    Did you do it as root? How do you do that?http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqUsing I can't say one way or the other if that will fix your problem. I don't have a wireless card, but I would definitely make sure that's what you really want to do first. Maybe try some other options before you rm anything!

    2) While connecting to LAN via ethernet, I get error that DHCP failed or something. I tried KNOPPIX->Network card configuration, it opens another window and does DHCP broadcast and then says it failed, hit enter to exit. My internet gateway router is MR814. When I run KNOPPIX from my desktop, connected to the same MR814, it works fine but from laptop it does NOT work at all.
    Code:
    ifconfig -a
    Got I.P.?

    Code:
    cat /proc/pci
    Got conflicts?

    Which and in what sequence have you used these in? (besides just nopcmcia) http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes
    I like pci=biosirq for this one.

    3) My NTFS partition are seen by KNOPPIX but its ready only. I think Linux can read NTFS but can not wite to it.
    Yes & no. For a more detailed explaination go here:www.google.com/linux

    Linux can read and write FAT32 if I am not wrong.
    You are not.

    Can some one help with step by step instruction?[/code]
    Code:
    search box in upper right hand corner
    As always - post back with results please. :ccol:

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1

    Fixed?!?

    yugpatel-
    Did you get it working? I have an alomst identical situation-

    A HP ze4300 notebook computer and a Linksys WPC11 (v. 3) wireless card. When I try to boot Knoppix with the wireless card insterted, the computer hangs while booting. When I inserted after the computer has booted, the card is not recognized. I've tried cardconfig from the Knoppix menu and also the other suggestions I found when searching this forum, but no luck.

    Just hoping that yugpatel (or anyone else!) figured it out.

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1

    Similar Problem

    This problem seems to exist on HP zeXXXX series laptops with the AMD processor (the Intel is apparantly fine). I've heard that it's fixed in the 2.5 kernel so I'm in the process of a knx-install (I'll upgrade my Knoppix soon and then I'll be on to a kernel upgrade to see if I can make my PCMCIA work.

Similar Threads

  1. Wireless Ethernet PCMCIA Card not being recognized
    By Gobitron in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-01-2005, 08:57 AM
  2. No Wireless Extensions/No wireless card found?
    By sparticus in forum Laptops
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:55 AM
  3. Linksys wireless ethernet card problem
    By Kriil in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 04:14 PM
  4. Cisco Aironet / Xircom Wireless Ethernet drivers - source
    By robartes in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 09:03 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2003, 02:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



Dell EMC 4TB 7.2K Sata  6Gb/s 3.5

Dell EMC 4TB 7.2K Sata 6Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise HDD, 118000762

$50.00